1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Director Communications - VCU

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Serious question here:

A lot of talented, experienced people can get a job -- and then get better jobs -- at a newspaper without a college degree. But for a job like this, in an academic setting ... all other factors being the same (the right skill-set, good attitude, good talent, good clips, good resume, etc.) ... how much of a deal-breaker is the lack of a degree for this sort of thing?

2. I can't imagine why a degree would be necessary if the person is well-equipped otherwise.

And Moddy, if this person does have one year of PR experience, isn't that 9 months more than you have? ;D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is my first search in the academic world so I don't know about the flexibility of the degree thing. I guess I'll find out if a good candidate without a degree comes along.

And write-brained, I'm a week away from 52. I've done a lot of stuff in my life. But the simple answer to your question: No.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Well, happy birthday in advance, mr. harris.

And if I wanted to move to Va., I really would apply for this. Sounds like a cool job.

5. Moderator1

Thank you in advance.

It is - I thought I'd like this staff when I took the job but I like the people even more than I figured. They work their asses off and have fun. A good combination.

6. jps

jps Active Member

dropped you a pm, moddy ... good luck on the search.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You have no idea how much I would like to have this job. :)

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Could I work from home?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Damn, where was this job 25 years ago, when I would have killed to get back to the Commonwealth, even if it meant working downtown for the evil empire.

(I still have the rejection letters from the Progress-Index someplace. If that doesn't prove HOW desperate I was at the time, nothing does).

Are Dockers, topsiders and polos/izod still required for "casual employment attire" in Richmond?

Working close to the Strawberry Street Cafe and Carytown would be a definite treat. (Is the Lums by the Biograph still open?)

10. Moderator1

Lums? Lord, it has been a while. Closed ages ago. Was a Pizza Hut for the longest time. Not sure what is there now.

And the Biograph isn't the Biograph anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted