1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Director Communications - VCU

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

An added bonus here - you get to work with me. Save the wiseguy responses, please. I'll be happy to answer questions about the job either here, via PM or at mjharris@vcu.edu

ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
    Virginia Commonwealth University is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Communications. VCU is an NCAA Division I institution and is a member of the Colonial Athletic Association. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to: primary communications contact for men’s soccer, women’s soccer, women’s basketball and men’s golf; extensive copywriting (guides, releases), editing, record keeping and web page maintenance; game-day obligations of notes, statistics, credentials, radio/TV accommodations, press conference, etc.; layout of men’s basketball game-day program; and maintaining positive relations with local media to generate opportunities for publicity and exposure for VCU. Candidate must be able to establish strong working relationships with local and national media, as well as Athletic Department coaches and staff; organize all day-to-day operations regarding assigned sports, both in season and out of season, to ensure that publicity goals are met in a timely manner and coincide with the mission and purpose of both the Sports Information Department and the University; and establish writing skills in order to efficiently communicate with general public through media guides, press releases and the web page. Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required, with experience in a Division I collegiate environment preferred. Minimum of one (1) year’s experience in sports public relations or a related field required, preferably at the collegiate level. Knowledge of Macintosh, PageMaker and Stat-Crew required. Background in broadcasting, with some radio experience is required. A letter of application, resume, and three (3) letters of recommendation must be sent to Kate Tucker, Search Coordinator, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1200 West Broad Street, P.O. Box 843013, Richmond, VA 23284-3013. The application deadline date is June 5, 2008. Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What would that be, about 24K a year?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What, you drove someone out of there already??

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just looked at this on the NCAA Market site today.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

How picky are you on the one year of experience? :)

6. Moderator1

Actually, got a position added already. Pay isn't going to be astronomical because it is just beyond entry level. But it is a good start place in a great office in a great place to live.
    Ducky, if you have the rest we can work around that.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can just see you talking about this job with your boss.

AD: "Mike we need to talk to you about your staff."
    Mike: "I'm sorry boss but we are just stretched to the max. We can't cut any more. There's no more fat to cut."
    AD: "Mike this isn't about..."
    Mike: "I know it's not personal and I know times are bad but our staff cannot handle another cut. I swear. We can't lose another body."
    AD: "Mike would you please just..."
    Mike: "I mean it! You're my dawg and all but if this happens the product will be shitty and it will make us all look bad."
    AD: "Mike, SHUT UP! We're expanding. We're adding another guy to the staff."
    Mike: "Add...ing? What's that?"

8. Moderator1

Damn. You must have been in the room. I thought I was back in newspapers for a while.

Our monthly staff meeting today? A picnic at our baseball game. We lost but the food was good, plentiful and free.
    It is race weekend in Richmond and I was home before 5. And I was last out of the office.
    Do I love this gig?

9. Keystone

Keystone Member

Gosh, if I were 10 years younger and not married, I'd be all over this job. I've had lots of fun memories working with SIDs in the CAA. Nothing like the hospitality suite during the men's basketball tournament. ;D

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If I thought there was a chance the son of a bitch in charge would hire me, I'd probably apply.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Beat me to it...

12. lono

lono Active Member

Does it come with a belt buckle?

Draft saved Draft deleted