1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations - University of Tennessee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Mar 12, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From Teamwork Online

http://collegesportsjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=34706

Communications: Communications Department Management

Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations - The University of Tennessee Athletics Department (Knoxville, TN)

QUALIFICATIONS: Required: Bachelor’s Degree; Significant experience in media relations with university athletic departments or professional sports organizations, including experience working with national, regional, and local media outlets. Strong writing and interpersonal communications skills; Demonstrated personnel management experience. Desired Qualifications include: Master’s degree; Ten (10) years experience in Athletic Communications, including a background on a university/college campus. Experience with Adobe InDesign.

RESPONSIBILITIES: Involvement in and oversight of all aspects of media relations for Tennessee Athletics and its 20 sports, including supervision of media relations department staff members. The media relations department is a component of the Tennessee Athletic Communications Office, which also includes Internet Communications and Broadcasting. Works closely with the Associate AD for Athletic Communications and the Associate SID for Football on all publicity-related items and media relations operations of the Tennessee Football program. Assists with all strategy and messages related to public relations issues impacting Tennessee Athletics and the Football program. Responsible for all game day operations and logistics in press box and media center at Neyland Stadium. Prepares football-related press releases, weekly game notes, media guides, and related information. Assists Associate AD for Athletic Communications with all personnel-related matters within media relations department and works with selected full-time staff members to operate the graduate assistant and student worker program. Manages the media relations portion of the Athletic Communications budget.

TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: Twelve-month, regular, full-time position.

UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA Employer
    All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and admissions without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Eligibility and other terms and conditions of employment benefits at The University of Tennessee are governed by laws and regulations of the State of Tennessee, and this non-discrimination statement is intended to be consistent with those laws and regulations. In accordance with the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, The University of Tennessee affirmatively states that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or disability in its education programs and activities, and this policy extends to employment by the University. Inquiries and charges of violation of Title VI (race, color, national origin), Title IX (sex), Section 504 (disability), ADA (disability), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (age), sexual orientation, or veteran status should be directed to the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED), 1840 Melrose Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996-3560, telephone (865) 974-2498 (V/TTY available) or 974-2440. Requests for accommodation of a disability should be directed to the ADA Coordinator at the Office of Equity and Diversity.

2. Who left UT SID dept?

3. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I'm not sure who left, but I can say that they were very helpful to me in my dealings with them.

We were working on a project about a former local prep star who won some titles with the Vols and a rep in the SID office supplied us with pretty much everything we asked for; videos, photos, player interviews and a last-minute interview with Pat Summitt when she was in the area.

They were great to work with, and that can't be said of most folks in that field.

4. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

This posting looks like it's for the top dog of the SID

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

As a counterpoint, there's the whole Lane Kiffin departure press conference debacle. Of course, the person in this job is going to be handed a bunch of garbage and asked to make chicken salad out of it, what with Pearl likely on the way out and Hamilton possibly being not far behin. But then, spinning skills would seem to be part of the job.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This position requires you to tell Mike Hamilton to keep his mouth shut.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I would think this is going to get punted to the new AD, no?

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I think one of these guys might be most qualified right now:

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Experience with extinguishing nuclear reactor fires helpful.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was impressed with how the UT media folks handled the Kiffin departure.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that they served the University's purposes well in that situation, but my comment was in response to the assertion they are "good to work with." I'd like to see that video again, but my recollection of it was they weren't good to work with in that instance.

Draft saved Draft deleted