1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assess the USA soccer situation here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In a way, I think U.S. soccer has cleared one major hurdle.

People cared about this game, people are going to be pissed about this bad result, there are expectations for the national team. That is a huge hurdle cleared after indifference, especially pre-'94. It will likely go on the backburner for another four years in public perception, but it was never really going to be about more than the World Cup. Maybe people will get into the qualifiers, but soccer is never going to enjoy mass popularity.

As far as on the field, there needs to be fundamental changes made to somehow refine our skills. Simple things like shitty first touches, shaky passes, etc. undermine this team and has undermined past American teams.

And to the trolls, I understand the soccer proselytizers piss you off. Dancing on what you believe to be soccer's grave (which is inane on its face) is 100 times worse.

2. unwitty

unwitty Member

I'll admit it, I'm not a soccer head. I don't understand all the formations, attacking patterns or defensive strategies but I do love to watch the sport. And I enjoy a 1-0 game.

But what I couldn't comprehend during this year's WC run was how the U.S. would be moving, forward pushing defenders back on their heels and then stop to send the ball back or slow up to wait for reinforcements. That was perplexing. It seems that soccer is all about how hard you push to score while being smart with the ball.

And, I've never agreed with any coach's decision not to start or insert a player who is young i.e. Johnson. Youth brings inexperience but it can also bring an air of confidence because often they don't know what the hell they're getting into. Start the players who give you the best chance to win no matter their age. Period.

Given the genius label that Arena was affixed prior to this year's WC, he's sure going to have to answer to the critics now.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm not sure where you go for the next coach.

Arena's strategy in this Cup was poor. However, coming in, he did a lot to push forward guys in MLS to show that playing well locally does mean something to the National Team.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The only answer I think Arena needs to give is this:

Yes, sirs. Here are the keys to the office. I'll have my stuff out of there this afternoon.

5. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

As are many of you, I feel woefully unqualified to pick apart whether America's offensive gameplan was correct or not. They definitely didn't put much pressure on opposing defenses, but how much of that was because they seemed to constantly trip over their own feet? The only sharp play they made all tournament was when beasley stole that pass and served such a nice ball to dempsey. when donovan, who was piss poor all tournament, sailed that late free kick over everyone and out of bounds, we all knew it was over.

I think people are being a little too hard on Arena, although some of the blame should certainly fall on him. I fault him more for his personnel decisions, though, than for his alignment.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Eight years ago, the United States entered the World Cup off its best qualifying campaign ever, done with a group of players who had played and advanced in the previous World Cup, and who looked primed to build on those results. They got to France, and wins against Brazil and Argentina in addition to doing well in CONCACAF meant less than nohing as players questioned the coach's strategy, media questioned the coach's strategy, and the coach (Steve Sampson), a genius months earlier, was now a goat.

Enter Bruce Arena, who took a young group through what started as an easy qualifying campaign, but eventually got tough. Who coached the team to the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 2002. I've said it before, and it's worth repeating just how lucky we were back then, as we ambushed Portugal for the key win. But anyone who wathced that game knows that if Portugal had 20 more minutes, they win that game, as we were out of gas.

After that tie against Korea, we needed a win or tie against a winless, goalless team, and we allowed Poland to ambush us. Luckily, Korea did us a favor by beating Portugal. If we play ANY team other than Mexico, do we advance in the second round? As in, would we have beaten Italy, the other team from their group? I say no, Hell no. Then we outplayed germany, to be sure, but things happen. people act like Friedel had such a great tourney, but the man allowed seven goals in five games. He saved a couple of PKs, and was excellent in the knockout stages, but he was just okay as we barely advanced.

Now, we entered this World Cup with high hopes in a tough draw, and a hell of a lot of hype. And I don't just mean media coverage, I mean the cover of SI, trumpeting these young 'uns as if Donovan has ever done anything besides against CONCACAF teams. I mean Nike commercials. And our guys came out against the Czechs like they believed the hype. They played a completely different, scrappy, underdog game against the Italians, and nearly won.

Today, we had the improbable shot at the second round. Honestly, who thought Italy WOULDN'T beat the Czechs at this point? And we blew it, plain and simple. I didn't expect us to have a shot going into today, but we did.

So, the state of US soccer is this: We came out for the World Cup with a lot of talk, a lot of BS, and a lot of confidence. We leave having played three games in which our offense was dismal, our total lack of world-class playmakers or finishers was exposed, our super goalie again looked average on this stage, and in which the coach's substitution patterns were questionable by anyone who knows our roster. Yes, we have inferior talent. But also yes, soccer is a sport where inferiority can be schemed out of the matchup with good coaching.

On the one hand, we were very close to this exact same feeling four years ago (I still remember watching the Poland game, feeling exactly as I did today, that "we blew it."). This time, we got the help again, but didn't take advantage. Our attacking and passing can best be described as without purpose (MLS, by any other name), but our defending wasn't too bad. Onyewu really improved after the first few minutes of the first game.

We dominate CONCACAF. Yay. So does Mexico, and they have struggled mightily in this World Cup. we are just not good enough, we're not producing the players needed to compete consistently against the best on this level, and there's only so much a coach can do. We need a new coach, some new blood. Maybe the players are too comfortable with Arena (who also seems to believe HIS own hype).

Rumors in the past have included any number of Americans, including Bob Bradley. A current sexy rumor of Klinsmann is out there. I don't think Bradley gets a sniff, mostly because they won't want to go with an Arena guy, even if the arrogance level is like night and day.

I don't like it, but maybe a foreign coach is the right choice. Someone who will put pressure on these guys, make them feel like crap when they don't perform, someone who will light a fire under our attackers, as well as put together a strategy that can score goals against the best. To me, we've hitched our wagon to Donovan. He's the new captain. But he's too comfortable. I hope a new coach kicks him in the ass before it's too late.

we need to start playing in the Copa America every time. Beating up on Guatemala doesn't mean a damn thing. Let's face Brazil and Argentina every once in a while. Let's halt the complacency.

For fans, let's continue to support the game, and for journalists, let's continue to cover it like any other sports, warts and all. Let's ask the tough questions, let's call for heads to roll. Because basketball and baseball have been seized from our grasp, let's catch up in soccer at least as much as everyone else has in those sports.

lastly . . . looks like Project 2010 didn't end up working.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, the U.S. was not great.
    And too passive.
    But 2002 an aberration? Please. The U.S. won its qualifying group over Mexico, which has been a world power for 30 years. Get a clue.

8. bobblehead

bobblehead Guest

I'm with you on that one.  Cover it like you would table tennis, rugby and figure skating.

Not like the NFL.

Not like MLB.

Not like the NBA.

Not like NASCAR.

It isn't a major sport in the United States and it never will be.

And the long faces in the stands in the waning moments in Nuremburg today show even they know it.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

That might have been it for Reyna.

May not be a bad thing.

Brutal giveaway today. I was talking to some soccer coaches last week, and they all basically hated Reyna. I'm no soccer expert, but it was interesting to hear the frustration regarding his play.

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Anyone watching ESPN? THe Arena press conference gave off the impression that he wouldn't be back. Granted the game's only been over for 45 minutes, but he did seem down.

8 years probably is enough.

I'm thinking Bruce may not be back.

But knowing how compeititive he is, is he going to want this to be his legacy? Because while 2002 was great ....

pattern time ...

1990 - AWFUL showing
    1994 - made 2nd round
    1998 - last place
    2002 - made qtrs
    2006 - bad showing
    2010 - semis?

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Hanzo, that was well written.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/grant_wahl/news/2000/08/16/wahl_insider/

Read the first two items there. A Google search for "Project 2010 soccer" turned up nothing official. Is this something top-secret, like the AIDS vaccine?

Until our young'uns start playing soccer on the playgrounds the way they play basketball (and football, and baseball), we'll never be truly competitive. The sport needs to become ingrained in the culture and no amount of bureaucracy can produce that. Creativity is spawned on the playground, perfected on the pitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.