1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assess the USA soccer situation here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Geez once again its wait another 4 years and you will really see something. I've hearing that for a lot of World Cups now.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Pretty easy to sum up:

In soccer, we are the world's bitch, and we will continue to be for years to come.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Crass, honestly, unless they reach the semifinals, how can a team called "The best team US Soccer has ever produced" NOT be over-hyped?

4. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Dempsey, to me, was the U.S.'s best player in the World Cup. Aggressive offensively, good ball-handler, scored the only goal.

Where was Landon Donovan? Did he just not show up, were the opponents' defense on him that good, or did Arena play him out of position?

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

4-5-1 is Arena's formation.
    4 defenders
    5 midfielders
    1 forward

the idea is to control possession and build attacks, and attack with wings (Beasley, Dempsey). at least that's how i remember it.

It didn't happen.

Wow, many, many people already calling for the head of Arenas.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why not?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Really? A lot of World Cups? Or do you mean that you expected the US, which has only qualified since 1990 at the time using college players, to beat out the Czechs and Italy who have been at it for well over 100 years.

Right.

Tex, if you compare this group to the group the US faced in the last World Cup, you know the difference. This collection of talent is the best the US has ever had. The talent and skill of this group supercedes that of the last World Cup. The US just got lucky in the last one with who they face.

8. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

The Czechs scored three times against us, then never scored again.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

What did Gilbert have to do with this failure?

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So, if Arena is out, which I think he could be, who would be the hire? Or is it too early to start hoping Klinsmann would prefer to coach a team closer to where he lives?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you're US Soccer I think you have to at least ask him.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i love no-nothing, knee-jerk reaction

maybe the same time you learn proper grammar -- i.e., not real soon

are you kidding? kid hasn't done much against mls competition -- much less against the world's best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.