1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assassinations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 29, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oz, if you get the NIAFL blacklisted, we'll never forgive you.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That was incredibly stupid, Oz.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't ever advocate assassinations, obviously. And it seems like it's usually the best leaders who are taken far too soon.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As much as I hate Bush, it's categorically unfair to compare him with Mugabe.

Mugabe used intimidation tactics against his own people for daring to oppose him in a presidential election. He set out deliberately to scare people away from expressing their voice.

So far, Bush has not done anything overt that even remotely comes close to that. If Bush were to send out the National Guard to kill Barack Obama, then comparisons to Mugabe would be apt. But not now.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

In the Phillipines and Haiti, political pressure was used successfully to get rid of despots.

A couple of pragmatic problems with bumping off Mugabe, besides the obvious moral and ethical ones.

First, Mugabe is 84 years old. He isn't going to live forever anyway.

Second, getting rid of him like that would create a power vacuum and could lead to a civil war. Not a good thing.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Given how the Bush administration has restricted personal freedoms while increasing the government's ability to violate people's privacy, and including all the Iraq/Afghanistan deaths, I'd say the comparison is not much of a stretch. I'm waiting for an event to take place between October and January that will "force" Bush to declare martial law. Then the comparison will be even more relevant.

And yes, fear is a hell of a weapon. But in this country, we color-code it as a "terror threat."

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Wouldn't you love to know how many assassination plots or attempts in the U.S. are foiled? So many crackpots, so many guns, with a president who is well-protected but appears in front of so many crowds. It's amazing presidents aren't shot all all the damn time by someone trying to be famous.

8. How's that old quote go:
    "He's a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch."

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would also think that Mugabi takes considerable precautions not to put him in a dangerous situation. Like Saddam, he probably sleeps in a different place every night.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is no joke. I wouldn't fuck around with this shit.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm just as curious to know how many we might be responsible for abroad.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ding, Ding, Ding.

Draft saved Draft deleted