1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aspiring journalist seeks answers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportfan11, Dec 29, 2006.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I went to Syracuse because it's one of the better schools. And while I wouldn't change that decision, it was my experience at my hometown newspaper that got me my first job. If you can get your foot in the door anywhere (school paper included) then it really doesn't matter where you go or what you major in.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hate to interrupt the college and university commercials, but I just thought I'd tell Mr. Aspiring to expect some unpleasantries.

Remember the big, non-responsive villain in Fargo? Count on at least one person in your newsroom being 10 times worse than that. It may even be your SE.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like what life would be like working for spnited

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Spnited would be slightly more responsive, though. Sort of like one of those guardians of the Grail.

"You chose ... poorly."

5. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Work at your college shop not only for experience, but to see if you actually enjoy it. The notion of being a scribe can easily outweigh the reality of it.

Learn a thing or two about the business. It's not the most stable one.

Best of luck.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Moe Kris disagrees with that. People don't work 40-hour weeks at the college paper, and their work is edited by professors and scrutinized by advisers.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I worked close to 40 hours a week and my work was NEVER edited by a professor (rather by my sister the copy editor). Some people are dumb.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I know that. But Moe Kris doesn't, and Moe Kris is a renowned adviser.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Moe Kris is a dumbass.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who the hell is Moe Kris?

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The real question is who is like Moe Kris?

Learn the answer, and if you're clever enough, you'll find the code to disarm the bomb at the school.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Absolutely the right thing. I would recommend a journalism major, but others' differering opinions certainly are worthy. I took classes such as history and geography and political science as electives simply because I liked them.

As much as folks here have said get in on the school paper, I'd say definitely do that, but use it as an opportunity to get to "real" local papers quickly. I had the good fortune of working at major league baseball games for the Associated Press throughout my college years and that also helped me land at a very good mid-size paper near my college town for the last two years of school. I have never, ever used my GPA on a resume or cover letter. It's all about the real experience. Everybody can say they worked for their school paper. Get a part-time or stringer job at a local newspaper as soon as you can. And, of course, work hard and do well with the opportunity.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted