1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASNE cancels national convention

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If the American Society of Newspaper Editors is calling off the national convention, will APSE follow suit?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96K32V00&show_article=1

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's hope...

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Oh, wow. This from the former editor of papers in Spokane, Salem and Colorado Springs:

The one organization that could and should speak up, the organization representing the most powerful editors in the land from the most powerful newspapers, largely fell silent as the media conglomerates and avaricious publishers began to ride the industry into the ground.

http://www.stillanewspaperman.com/2009/02/27/no-asne-convention/

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

In light of that move, I would thing the APSE would have to. Otherwise, how would that look if they went ahead and held the convention for sports editors when the ASNE cancelled to save money?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very good move. Having a group of editors in Chicago right now probably wouldn't be appropriate or safe.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

??

As for the other, I'm hoping APSE actually goes ahead -- sorry, Mizzou, as I've said before, there's great value at those things for the editors AND their papers, and seeking out solutions to problems is more important now than ever -- but it's going to be really tough for those sports editors to go to some of the editors who have just canned their own convention and ask for money to go to Pittsburgh.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what any of these guys can accomplish in the face of what we're facing. They can talk about it, they can find band-aid solutions that might last for a little while, but to quote James Carville, it's the economy, stupid, and no amount of talking and spending money to go talk is going to accomplish anything an e-mail or five among editors can't accomplish.

I hate that I wrote that, but it's true. This has been one bleak-ass week, for some of us directly, all of us by proxy.

8. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

If enough editors can attend, APSE should conduct its convention. Someone in the organization would have to figure out what that number is though. They have to cover their nut with hotel rooms, et. al.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wait....

We're not going to staff the Super Bowl or NCAA Tournament because it costs too much. But we're going to fly cross-country to go to some convention and commiserate about how bad things are?

Curiouser and curiouser.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely. Any paper that has made cuts recently that isn't in driving distance has no business being there.

It should be canceled.

Draft saved Draft deleted