1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking the tough question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MartinEnigmatica, Feb 28, 2007.

1. I don't think I said a reporter has to apologize for doing his job. I'm only recommending a way that a young reporter can couch a tough question in such a way that he/she feels comfortable asking it.

Asking tough questions isn't a lot of fun for someone who admits to being a little "gun shy." It was hard for me. Sweeping in with a false sense of bravado doesn't work for a shy person, especially for someone who does not have enough experience to counter with another question after the subject reacts poorly -- which is a possibility.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's why some are best-suited to be editors. i'm not trying to be insulting, but perhaps painfully shy reporters aren't cut out for this.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you ever feel awkward, just blame it on your boss.

I hate asking you this, Coach, but my editor is making me. ....

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree. there's nothing wrong with this. some would construe this as an apology but the bottom line is that you need the answer.

5. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

that's why some are best-suited to be editors. i'm not trying to be insulting, but perhaps painfully shy reporters aren't cut out for this.
    [/quote]

I strongly disagree with this, and, Martin, don't start rethinking your career just yet. For some people, it just takes a little time to get comfortable. It may be harder for those people to make an immediate splash, but if you're thoughtful, respectful, fair and really care about what you're doing, that will show. In the long run, your sources will appreciate you for it, you'll get good answers if you ask the right questions, and your reporting will get better and better as you get more and more comfortable.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This can come in handy in many situations.

If a coach gets cranky about something in one of your stories, just say, "An editor made me put that in."

If he's still pissed, tell him to call the desk and ask for the painfully shy guy.

If you have a girlfriend who snickers when you drop your pants, just say, "The damn desk thought it was too long."

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I have blamed all sorts of stuff on editors -- 99 percent of which was done by editors.

I wouldn't blame a question on an editor, though, unless it was a really unusual and sensitive situation.

8. mattklar

mattklar New Member

Anyone can ask a tough question. But how do you respond when your interviewee throws a tougher one back at your face, and becomes indignant? Most of us could read off a cue card, "Jerry Jones, why in God's green Earth did you sign Wade Phillips?"..but when he challenges you and says "Well, who would you have signed?" or "What would you have done?", its about being prepared enough to have that discussion with him. It's not about asking a challenging question, sticking as tape recorded in someone's face, and having that question published.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Mr. Douchenozzle -- that's a lovely shirt, by the way -- can you explain what the three dead 9-year-olds were doing in your bedroom closet?

Compliments will take you a long way.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yes, you have to be intelligent enough to have a discussion about who else one might have signed, but ultimately, he's the GM, you're not. So your opinion is irrelevant and he's just trying to turn the tables on you as a way to avoid the question. That's an asshole move. Don't let him pull it. Be polite, change the subject briefly if you need to, but keep asking the same question in different ways until you get a decent answer.
    Asking an obnoxious question and recording "the response" is cheap. Asking a smart question persistently until you get the answer is part of the job.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just ask it. I don't give a rat's rear end if the source doesn't like it. I'm doing my effing job.

I got berated by Thomas Rongen, who was then the coach of D.C. United, after the team lost and I asked about his team's play in midfield. Before the next game, a columnist from The Washington Times came up to me and told me he though Rongen's move was uncalled for AND he said I was absolutely right about the midfield play being awful.

For someone who felt like he was being viewed by other media as an interloper, it was a turning point where I felt like I was starting to be accepted. I've since earned a reputation for asking the tough questions. I like having that reputation.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Questions about how a team performs can be tricky, though.

I don't think you want to sound like you are being combative or uberfanish.

Draft saved Draft deleted