1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking The Father's Permission For Marriage: Old and done, or traditional?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ah ... gotcha.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm a traditionalist, so I'll ask the dad no matter what. Unless, ya know, I can't for some reason.

My last girlfriend loved the idea of me asking her dad for permission when I felt ready for it. But alas, we all know how that went...

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I might ask your dad if I can marry you for that comment alone.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

When it became clear that my then-gf and I were headed for a trip down the aisle, I was told by her in no uncertain terms that I was to ask her father before I proposed. Period.

OK...

After I placed the order for the ring, I worked up the nerve and gave him a call (he's on the other side of the country). I was all nervous and finally was able to spill out my plans. His reply?

"Awww, you didn't have to ask me."

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I couldn't ask. My wife's father died about 10-11 years before I met her and her mother never remarried.
    However I didn't ask her mother's permission. But it hasn't changed anything as my mother-in-law and I get along fine.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Again, it's not a matter of permission, it's a courtesy extended to your prospective wife's family. I wouldn't think anyone would do it if they expected the dad to not offer his blessing, or if him doing so would actually effect whether you got married.

It's a polite gesture, like opening the door for a woman -- it doesn't imply you think the woman is incapable of opening the door, it's just a nice thing to do.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He'd marry me off to anyone who would ask.

Doesn't mean I have to marry you. :D

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh god, don't open that can of worms.

9. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

Let's put it this way since many on here are probably young enough to be my kids. If you're 22 and you're asking my 20-year-old daughter, OK. If you're 40 and you're asking to marry my 38-year-old daughter, don't bother me. She's old enough and you're old enough to do whatever you want, you've been around the block by that point, and I'd be too old at that point to be bothered. I'd have too much fishing to do.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Again, AB, you should take your fiancee's views into account. It's great that you'd ask for a blessing, but I'd be insulted if you did.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Obviously, there could be any number of exceptions. If the woman's dad had been an immense douche to her, he might have forfeited certain respects long before I came along.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well yes, my comments are all predicated on it being what the woman would want. If she wants it, and he'd appreciate it, and the guy asking doesn't do it...that's douchish.

Draft saved Draft deleted