1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking The Father's Permission For Marriage: Old and done, or traditional?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"So Babs, I was thinking, that before I ask you to marry me next Thursday that I would, you know, check with your old man to see if he's cool with it. You on board with that?"

2. If her father is one of the Plantagenets, I'd do it.
    Otherwise, for all its surface civility, it's a throwback to the days when women were property to be bartered.
    If you do it, though, make sure to lift a flagon of ale, lest ye be thought a varlet.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I think it's a nice thing to do, but, boy, that's a tough question.

My father-in-law definitely would have said no to his third daughter if her boyfriend had asked. Everyone in the family thought those two getting married was an enormous mistake, but turns out everyone would have been wrong. They've now been married, I'm guessing, 15 years with everything going swimmingly.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I didn't ask my FIL. I hadn't even met him yet. My wife didn't care.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT!

I didn't do it. In fact, I didn't even meet my father-in-law until after we were engaged. Then again, I wasn't exactly going to jump on an airplane and fly to China without knowing the language or having a translator with me.

Additionally, my wife and I have things pretty cool. There's lots of communication. There really aren't many surprises.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My FIL's response when I asked was, "That'll work." It constituted high praise from the man.

Unless you have a bad relationship with the future in-laws, there's really no downside to doing it. We all know it's the woman's decision, but asking for dad's blessing is a sign of respect and a good way to get off on the right foot with the in-laws. Plus your fiance will almost certainly find it charming.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I've been married several times and I never asked.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Cadet brings up a very good point. Most women don't want to feel like property.

So, let me ask you guys this. What if the bride-to-be asks the groom's parents for his hand in marriage?

Edit: Sorry ArnoldBabar, I would have been ticked off.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would be rather insulted if my boyfriend asked my father for his permission to propose to me. I'm my own woman, and I don't need my father's OK to get married.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Ditto. I can't say it ever occurred to me (or my wife, for that matter) to ask.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My wife didn't ask my parents for their blessing when she asked me to marry her.

In our case, I guess, it was old and done.

My wife's twin sister, on the other hand, had her hubby ask dad for his blessing and his response was "Why are you asking me? She's the one you want to marry."

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, come off it. Him giving permission, like a blessing, is not saying you have to marry the guy or that you're now his property to clean and cook.

It's common courtesy.

Draft saved Draft deleted