1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking for an autograph

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by arnold ziffel, Aug 3, 2006.

1. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

Does Whitlock sign?

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Taking this one step further, would it be unethical for an athlete to ask for Whitlock's autograph in the locker room? (Assuming of course that it is possible for an athlete to do anything unethical).

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wouldn't be unethical. Just stupid.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, damn, I think this is the one set of circumstances where it would be okay. Sounds like you handled it correctly.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unless your name is Richard Arndt and the item you want autographed is the ball from Hank Aaron's 755th and final home run, in which case you're a fucking genius.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've only seen this happen once. A beat guy asked a college hoops coach to sign a basketball for a relative and he did it during a pre-practice gang bang.

He was clearly embarasssed about it but nobody gave him shit when he did it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know that was a joke, but it is interesting to watch when the member of the media is a bigger celebrity than the player he's interviewing...

It doesn't happen much. I saw it happen to a really well-known columnist at the NCAAs a few years back. The kid had grown up in the columnist's readership area and had all his books, etc... The columnist in question was pretty uncomfortable by the situation. I thought it was funny because I see both sides...

I've seen basketball players who are excited to meet Stephen A. or Wilbon.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

uncomfortable? youd think the columnist would be happy for the kid....you know, local kid makes good. im finding there are more and more a-holes in this profession.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

You just stare?

I grab 'em ...

Gigggggggiitttttyyyy!!!!!!

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

One of the events we work is the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, which has a celebrity component. Part of my job is to babysit the media at the celebrity course (they play on four different courses) each morning.

The first year I worked this event, Troy Aikman was one of the celebs. I set up this interview with a local Palm Springs TV station. Everything goes well until the cameraman shuts off the camera and asks Aikman for his autograph.

I pulled him aside and told him in a calm voice, "If I was an asshole, I'd yank your credential right now." But since I'm not and since this is your first time out, don't do it again." He was very apologetic.

Now that I'm no longer a journalist, one of the cool parts of my current gig is getting autographs, which I do to raise money for the school my wife teaches at and that my kids attend. Last year, I put together a basket with such items as a Michelle Wie autographed program and a Battle at the Bridges hat signed by Mickelson and Goosen and auctioned it off.

When I was a writer, it was one of those things I just didn't do.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Only in newly fallen snow.

12. standman

standman Member

Did it once to help with a charity auction. I wasn't the charity.

Draft saved Draft deleted