1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking for a raise now

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lion_Woods, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

true red, but to play devil's advocate, no matter how cheap a company is, it still has to fly at least one person in for an interview, put them in a hotel and feed them during the interview process, and if they find their person just with the one interview, said company still has to help move the person and a possible family and then shell out more coin so an employee can not do their job and instead train the new person.

paying someone 6 percent instead of 3 and not paying for all of the new person's "stuff" seems cheaper to me, especially if the person you have is a good employee.

2. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

Within reason, it's absolutely OK to ask for a raise. Every employee should be rewarded for their work, and although many angry parents, coaches, etc. may disagree, it's not a job everyone can do.

3. House

House Guest

When my boss took another job, the ME didn't replace the position for months. As a reward, I and the rest of the staff were told that we were slackers and that our opinions didn't matter. So I think a raise is out of the question.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ever think for a second maybe you are a slacker house?

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Companies somewhere in the world actually pay to fly in their applicants, put them in hotels, and feed them? I guess I must not be a young stud or know one, because I have yet to see that happen in this industry. Most candidates I know, especially at smaller papers, are entirely on their own for those expenses (they might get a dime for moving once they're hired)— and if they don't have the cajones to step into their job with a day's training, they likely don't get the jobs. I guess, maybe, I should be looking to move to one of those companies.

I agree completely with that, though I'm not sure those doing the hiring at many places always see the big-picture ecnomoics of it.

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

I've interviewed for three jobs within the last four years -- including one at a smaller paper -- and have always had my travel covered. I always thought that was standard practice, no matter what the industry or how big the company is.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Not even close in this indusry as far as I can tell.

8. House

House Guest

If refusing to work off the clock makes me a slacker, then yes. Then again, the other writer puts in 10-20 extra off the clock and was still called a slacker, too.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's never come up on a post i've seen so i will ask because of your screen name, do you live/work in canada? maybe things are different there.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I just got a second job for the rest of the summer/fall working in the Pro Shop of the local golf course. I figure three days/week will pay my rent and free up some extra money. The sad part is the pay (which carries over from working in the winter at said resort) will just $.35 less than what I'm making at my 'real job.'

Draft saved Draft deleted