1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking fellow reporters for their thoughts about a team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, May 20, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I am working on a story about a team that I have not seen much of this season. As such, I'm thinking about talking to fellow reporters about said team. Is it kosher if I write, "Team X observers say..."?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wouldn't.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who are the observers? Fans? Team workers? Must identify. Not a bad idea to get 1-2 who have some credibility. Not a tool you want to use often but I did it a time or two and it worked out OK. Mostly for "scouting report" type stories when area teams played in postseason.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I guess I'd use observers to refer to veteran reporters that have covered Team X.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't do it.

I would talk to someone who covers the team and then use stats to make the points rather than their observations.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do not quote other writers.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'd ask, to inform my own perspective, but I wouldn't quote a writer. Unless I was detailing some sort of controversy -- "Mudville fans and media have been sharply critical of Joe Blow's 12-game playoff scoreless streak. In the Mudville Press, so and so wrote ..."

If we're talking about hockey here, isn't there a Pierre McGuire or a Bill Clement you can check in with? In other sports, I'm sure there are those types of guys, as well, media with playing or coaching cred. I've always preferred that to quoting other writers.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask Norm Maclean.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Saw him during the NHL playoffs. He looks like death barely warmed over.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So he's looking better, then...

12. fremont

fremont Member

That's me too. Especially since I'm strictly freelance now I might be given a team that's in the playoffs having never seen them before. I might try to get an idea of what they're like, who to watch. But what goes in print is based on what I see and/or the observations of people who are involved in the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted