1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a damn question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riddick,

Got a sincere question here and trying to ask it without pissing you off. I respect almost all of what you say on here, so don't think I'm being a little piece of you know what or that Im being a smart@$$.

I just wondered if all these Gomers were sitting around acting like Gomer Pyle doing an interview, then why didn't you just ask a couple of relative questions? Your post made it sound like you went through an entire interview and the guy never was asked a question, or at least a legitimate one. Maybe you did. Just wanted that clarified for my own sanity.

Oh and by the way, I hate the "Talk about That" method of interviewing. It's a crutch for when a reporter doesn't see the importance of a situation or can't adequately assess its importance to ask a legitimate question. It also comes across like your demanding the coach to "Talk about That" rather than asking a question. Not very thought-provoking in my book and almost always leads to crap that can't be used.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Huck,
    In a situation like that, I usually just walk away. Call me a selfish prick, but I don't want those assholes using my quotes. So, I walked away after a couple of minutes of that shit, conducted a couple of other interviews, then went back to the coach. I usually avoid the gangbang interviews if at all possible.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm with you on that. "How did you feel when you hit the game winning homer" ... "Umm, good." I don't care what people ask (unless you got some jackass hi-jacking a press conference on deadline trying to get answers for his inane sidebar) but I don't really get the "How did it feel" question. I just don't see how you'd ever work the answer into a story.

Bob Jones homered in the ninth to give Podunk the win.
    "It felt great to hit the home run."

Riveting stuff.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree on the "How did it feel..." question. Especially when you are talking to high school kids. The usual response is "Ummm...good."

On the "Talk about" subject, I just think there are better, more specific questions that will get better responses. Instead of saying "Talk about the double steal in the third," Ask something like "What prompted that call?" "Have you had success with it in the past?" "Did you see something from the pitcher/catcher that made you think you could pull it off?" "Think you'll try it again?"

6. I understand. Hadn't thought about just walking away. I usually wade through all the crap but I often do ask a few questions alone with a coach in that scenario just so that I have something unique rather than the mindless garbage that the flock seems to generate.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I agree with Chaz on this, in that using the "Talk about..." line is fine if you use it as an ice-break & then follow up with actual & precise questions, but the idiots that try to gather most of their quotes from such crap are really dragging the biz down.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. Nothing useful can EVER come from starting with a relatively non-specific opening for a coach or player to talk. Just jump right into the heavily-detailed grilling no matter what! ::)

There are plenty of blatantly wrong things to do in this busines. "Talk about..." isn't one of them. If that's all you bring to the table, then yes, that's a problem. But it's not a flat-out wrong thing to use as part of the problem.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

We wanted to move our runners up 90 feet.

No, we've never done a double steal in history of our team

We had a fast guy at second base.

No.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can handle the pointless 'talk about' moments.... but I will never understand reporters who call the coach 'Coach.'

He's not your coach, he's not a priest or a doctor or a senator. You're not required to use his 'title.' I can understand it in the rare case of someone who truly commands and deserves the recognition--ie, Coach Wooden--but otherwise, it's obsequious.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Obsequious, nice word. Put that in the slot machine and pull the handle.

And someone who says "talk about" is infinitely better than someone who doesn't talk at all, waits to see when you interview, walks up, and starts writing/recording after you do the work. Step off, piggybacker!

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I disagree with this, but here's why. I'm 24 years old. I have a hard time, personally, walking up to a person I'm interviewing who's 50 years old and calling them Bob. I was raised in the South, so there's a lot of "yes sir" and "no ma'am" with me. So I call a lot of coaches "Coach," because it sounds stupid calling a football coach Mr. Smith and I'm not calling some old guy by his first name. So I call him "Coach" or "Coach Smith."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.