1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashton Kutcher replaces Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 13, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't it move up to 8:30 so Mike and Molly can return? Or is Mike and Molly at 8:30 after How I Met Your Mother (Speaking of a show that ought to die).

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Correct, Moddy.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyway, I fear the story lines with Two and A Half Men won't change too much. Kutcher is more of an "innocent" Charlie instead of an arrogant, conniving Charlie. You could dislike Charlie pretty easily. Hard to dislike this guy. Instead of plotting to steal both women, he stumbled into both women. That kind of thing will happen a lot, I suspect. Eager to see how they involve Rose. Well, not eager because I'd prefer she never show up again. Curious is a better word.

The one great line was when they compared nights. "I had sex with two women." "I masturbated and cried myself to sleep." "I like my night a lot better."

4. JackReacher

Back to Broke Girls for a quick second....the blonde in that show...wow. Ungodly hot.

I thought that was the best exchange of TaaHM too, Moddy. The more I think about it, the more I like the character they created for Kutcher.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah. They couldn't really do Charlie Harper 2.0 becuase it would have fallen flat. Kutcher is something of a one-note player, but he hits that note pretty well. Ashton as indirect/accidental Charlie with shades of relatively mature Kelso has potential.

But everything was so predictable -- you knew the mom was going to transition into a sales pitch when she stood up at the funeral, you knew Alan was going to drop Charlie somehow and that Berta was going to make a joke about it and you knew Ashton (can't remember his character name) was going to bed both women. Yeah, ok, it's sitcom writing and for a show that's been in its groove since seemingly 1984, but still.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

Agreed about the predictability. I spent most of the show annoying the wife with what I thought was coming next, or what I thought someone would say next. I'm OK with that, though. It's been like that for a while.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

My favorite parts, by far, were the cameos by John Stamos, and by Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson (Dharma and Greg).

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the funeral was poorly done. I could picture Chuck Lorre writing the lines where so many seemed so glad that he was dead.

The rest of the show I thought was fine. I didn't love it, but I'll watch it, which is basically what I've been saying for the last five seasons or so...

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

Agreed. It seemed very personal toward the actor, rather than a comedic bit.

Of course, other shows handled things much worse. Remember how South Park got rid of Chef after a snit with Isaac Hayes? http://cart.mn/eLE0NN

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I love how CBS is spinning this morning. Most people I know were lukewarm about the new version, but on CBS This Morning, they were hailing as a comedic success, including twitter posts from what appeared to be 14yo girls ("I love Ashton Kutcher!" "Kutcher made me want to watch the show again!")

Ugh. Not a single twitter or comment that I saw that said "Meh."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it will be interesting to see, at the end of the season, how the ratings compare to last year's. If it's even 75 percent of what it was before, it's going to be hailed as a tremendous success.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It would have been nice to spend more than 30 seconds actually morning the character. I mean, he was the central character. It's not unreasonable for the characters to miss him, even if just a little bit. Instead, the only moment of tenderness was a setup for a dropped ashes gag telegraphed from the word go.

Did I miss them, or were Charlie's two most serious girlfriends (Mia and Chelsea) not present?

Draft saved Draft deleted