1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashtabula (Ohio) Star Beacon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CarlSpackler, May 8, 2008.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Company: Star Beacon
    Position:Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: June 12, 2008
    Job ID: 730547

Description:
    We have an immediate opening and are in search of a person with varied talents, most notably page design and writing, 99 percent of which would be on the prep level. We are an 18,000-circulation morning daily, located 50 minutes east of Cleveland, 50 minutes west of Erie, Pa. and 45 minutes north of Youngstown. We offer full benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and 401K. Applicants should have a solid background in using Quark, NewsEdit Pro and Adobe Photoshop and, perhaps even more importantly, a desire to 'take the ball and run with it' in terms of joining an award-winning sports department. This job is for our lead prep football, boys basketball and baseball writer and would include at least one night of layout per week. Send resumes and clips to Sports Editor Don McCormack, P.O. Box 2100, Ashtabula, Ohio, 44005-2100, or, via e-mail at donmac@suite224.net. No telephone calls.

I looked up the stats on Ashtabula, and I found it rather jarring that 21% of the population is under the poverty line. That being said, I'm guessing there aren't too many places where $25-30K will go as far as they do here.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I spent a week in Ashtabula doing a story on a crooked boxing operation run out of there. It is the asshole of Ohio.

3. Y-town Pride

Y-town Pride New Member

Ashtabula may be a dump, but Carl Pearson and most everyone else I've worked with there are good people. Just don't expect much of a night life.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'll look for you in old Honolulu, San Francisco and Ashtabula. You're going to have to leave me now, I know. But I'll look for you in the sky above, the green grass and the things I love. You're going to make me lonely when you go.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'm not really defending it because I haven't been there in more than 10 years, but Ashtabula is far from the asshole of Ohio. That distinction can be reserved for about a dozen other places in the state. My parents have rented a summer cottage not too far down the road in Geneva on the Lake for the past 15 years, and it can be a pretty laid back area. That salary, especially if it's on the high end, is pretty damn decent for northeast Ohio.

I have no idea what the paper is like or how they are preparing for the future. But knowing the area, one could do far, far worse.

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Home to Florida coach Urban Meyer

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

"... located 50 minutes east of Cleveland, 50 minutes west of Erie, Pa. and 45 minutes north of Youngstown."

I'm no expert on Ohio geography, but that sounds like code for, "in the middle of nowhere."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Isn't that redundant? ;D

9. You must be from a big city, because to me, that sounds like code for, "close to everything."

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nope. I grew up in the middle of nowhere. I suppose I can see your point, though.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Who's leaving? I know someone there.

12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

James Johnson, from what I hear, has already left.

Draft saved Draft deleted