1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashtabula, OH Sports Editor arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin Biebler, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I knew nothing about this until stumbling upon it tonight. I'm speechless. But it looks like this guy had some demons ...

http://donmac1.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

3. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

This is a manipulator of the highest order. The blog is nothing more than a tool to achieve that end.

4. Doc Holliday

I got that same feeling as I read it. Like there was an underlying, thinly-veiled purpose for something other than expression.

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Doc, it would boggle your mind how many people in that community didn't see it. And even today, still don't see it.

6. Doc Holliday

Just goes to show, you never really know somebody. We've all got the devil inside us, some worse than others.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  7. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

The way I read it, the sports editor was unethical in every way, shape and form — from his coverage to preying on high school girls.

8. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

You are not wrong, Sports Guy.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What ever happened to this guy? I Googled that he was offered a plea bargain but I don't know the final outcome?

10. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

Trial is still pending, as far as I know. Conflicting rumors as to whether or not he's considering taking a plea.

Two of the accusers recently filed a civil suit against him. They've also named the newspaper, its former editor, the former publisher who first hired him as SE and CNHI as co-defendents. Also, the former head basketball coach and AD at the school, along with the district itself. And several John Does from the paper and school.

11. Doc Holliday

He'd be wise to take the plea bargain.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Without knowing any of the details or how strong the case against McCormack is he may feel that he really has nothing to lose by going to trial. He is 52. He might figure he essentially dies in prison either way.

Draft saved Draft deleted