1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashtabula, OH Sports Editor arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin Biebler, Aug 18, 2014.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It was the same guy you dealt with then.

This is just surreal..

FWIW, the paper also had a photog who was a varsity cross country coach in the area, too (Can't remember if said photog was the victim of the rounds of layoffs).

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This dude posted here? Like, often?

3. amraeder

How do you define often?

Fewer posts than you have. More than 1K post, tho.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I would classify him as a regular. He was on the Moddy Mix list and I had semi-regular communication with him. He's out on bail. Maybe he'll be back

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

So sexual libertines have posted here... shocking...

6. Was this guy's arrest shocking, or were there warning signs?

7. He was on the Moddy Mix list ...

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. amraeder

I don't know...

I worked for Don for about 6 months (maybe 8?) before layoffs hit the newsroom and I was out of there. So obviously I'm hardly an expert ... but I'm stunned. Just stunned.

I learned of this last night and had some trouble sleeping thinking about a few things:
    1. When I first got there, he told me how he'd had a chance to work as an editor for one of the Chicago Papers (can't remember if it was Tribune or Sun Times). He said he turned it down because he liked working in Ashtabula with the kids. That they kept him young. At the time I thought he might be BSing about the job offer. I definitely never thought anything like THIS. But damn that quote is haunting now.

2. When I was there, we had a summer intern who handled agate for us. She was in college at the time and one of his former players. Thinking that she might have been a victim of his as a player makes me sick. I have no idea if she was or not, obviously. Last night, I talked to a former coworker who worked with Don in the newsroom for years. This coworker claims that this was a fairly common profile for the sports intern.

I'm learning that it's easy in a situation like this to look back at your memories and think "Now that you mention it, yeah, I can see it." But the truth was I never suspected a thing. Of course, 6 months isn't long to get to know someone, and I didn't stay in touch with him outside the office (except seeing his posts on here). But yeah - I'm stunned.

FWIW, in the comments of one of the linked articles from the Star Beacon, the first person says that everyone in Jefferson should have seen this coming:

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Warning sign or makes it shocking?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I spoke with him often when amraeder and I were up for the same job several years ago. Got the vibe that he was a good guy, not one who would do something like this. There were no red flags that popped up in any of our conversations, and they continued even after he hired -- and eventually had to lay off -- amraeder.

IIRC, he was also part of the Secret Santa and may have been my SS one year, but I may be misremembering.

As I told amraeder on Facebook, this is pretty shocking.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

28 years at the paper, and 1987 was 27 years ago. I suspect there's all of a sudden going to be an awful lot of people going, you know, now that you mention it ...

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It wasn't me. I'm not good enough to work at the Ashtabula paper with a little coaching on the side.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted