1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashtabula, OH Sports Editor arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin Biebler, Aug 18, 2014.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Read the story, and you'll see it's a legal term for "misconduct causing someone to have sex unwillingly."

If the much more relevant and bigger issue to discuss is whether that is a good thing to do or a bad thing to do, you can put me in the bad thing to do camp.

2. The former SE of the Dickinson, N.D., paper who was accused of human trafficking was arrested last month for violating conditions of his supervised release.

http://www.kxnet.com/story/25930367/former-sports-editor-arrested-for-violating-conditions-of-his-release

Have met a few perverts in the business who are infatuated with young girls. Most are guys who appear to have never gotten past first base.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Did he threaten to cost the player a scholarship?

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I know an SE who is also a JV baseball coach. Don't know how he even finds time do it.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's called an aside. I don't think any of us are of the opinion the alleged crimes aren't awful and THE story. It just struck me as odd that someone working as an SE was also a head coach of a sport - I presume in his coverage area.

I am curious about the details of the crime. I suspect it is lock you away a long time deal?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I applied for an opening at this paper about five years ago. It went to another poster on here. I don't remember if this guy was the same person I dealt with then, but I'm glad -- in a weird way -- that I didn't get the job.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sexual imposition / misconduct / assault is bad. Very very bad. Anyone involved should be punished to the extent of the law. OK?

8. Moderator1

It's not getting any better

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/article_28e5c90c-27f0-11e4-a9d4-001a4bcf887a.html

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This scumbag deserves everything that's coming to him.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's starting to look as if "tryouts" were really just his trolling pond.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On the aside, for what it's worth, Bob Kravitz is goaltender coach for the reigning Indiana 3A hockey champs.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/kravitz/2014/03/08/bob-kravitz-after-helping-coach-zionsville-to-3a-hockey-title-you-will-never-forget-this-day/6214639/

As for the SE, this stuff seems to happen fairly often. The problem with background checks is that if you've never been convicted for anything (or even arrested), this doesn't show up, which is how these coaches can get away (for a while) with it.

12. Moderator1

One of the updates today indicated the offenses were 15 or so years old. Makes me wonder how many more are going to surface the way they have with some other similar offenders. Hard to imagine he just quit?

Draft saved Draft deleted