1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashtabula, OH Sports Editor arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin Biebler, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If drug users were respectful, they wouldn't get caught.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I bet our local pedophile is glad this case is over so this thread will finally die and go away.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The bottom line, though, is that to try to avoid two days in jail and a criminal record, many people caught with a small amount of pot (or other drugs) choose drug court, which requires multiple drug tests, court appearances and AA meetings a week for up to 2 years.

Many don't make it through all the hoops and wind up in jail for six months when their only crime was having a trace amount of drugs on them/in their car.

But, I am sure someone is making money on it, so it's all good.

Meanwhile, a guy with a pattern of abusing teens entrusted to him gets six months as well.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

hopefully in those 6 months he pays with some jailhouse justice.

Doc Holliday and Ace like this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McCormack got six months so he is out now. I am curious (I don't know why). Has he stayed around town or just disappeared?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I cringe every time I see this thread pop up, because it reminds me of just how close I came to working for/with the guy.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I missed this thread until now.That guy is suck a dirtbag. Brings back some bad memories of a guy I worked for early in my career. Another SE who was also a high school coach. The guy would actually write stories about his team's events and quote himself, but covered it up by not using a byline. That wasn't even close to the most unprofessional thing he ever did.

There was never any word of inappropriate behavior with the girls he coached, but he did cheat on his wife and he sexually harassed an intern at the paper.

8. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

The Ohio law against sexual imposition covers a variety of offenses, but mostly having sexual contact with someone who is impaired, or unaware/asleep, or age 13-15, or is your mental health patient. (And an obscure one having to do with knowing that the person would be offended by the contact.) The law: Lawriter - ORC - 2907.06 Sexual imposition.. Definition of sexual contact is essentially touching an erogenous zone for the purpose of either party receiving sexual arousal or gratification: Defending Sexual Imposition - Frank Mungo Experienced Ohio, Kentucky, Federal Criminal DUI Lawyer.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Doc Holliday likes this.
  11. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

You dodged a major bullet then.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Could have been SE by now.

YankeeFan likes this.