1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashley Madison leak: Is this newsworthy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Adultery, rightly or wrongly, remains illegal in 20-something states. Does that affect your opinion?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's not work time, it's the use of work equipment.

You get this hottake from Cowherd?

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Wicked, No. JC --- Dumb that they did it with their employer's email address, but still not news.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Getting a blow job was illegal in a few states until 2003. Didn't see newspapers running stories on all the crime happening among dating couples, and the lack of such crimes occurring among married ones.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

My cousin was on that site. Can't wait to see his name leaked because he's not even married. He was just looking to have a good time with other people's wives. Don't know if it's right for all that info to be leaked. We've all heard pro athletes talking about cheating and haven't written about it right?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm all for stories about moralizing family-values creeps who make their life's work telling others what to do being exposed. And since so many love to attack public service workers every move because they are public sevice workers, then write all the stories about public service workers using their public service work emails that you want. The nothing-to-hide crowd will not worry about it all, I'm sure.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Of course. I had never heard of the Conde Nast CEO either, but I figured he was a public figure. But this guy seems to be some obscure blogger who was in a viral video. It's borderline to me. I'd have to look more into it, but doesn't seem newsworthy. I sort of agree with Doc, but at the same time, the govt employees are doing this stuff on our dime. I think that makes a bit of a difference.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Creating an account using a government email address is in no way, shape or form proof that they're "doing this stuff on our dime."

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always assumed they were getting a credit card to even let you into Sodom andGomorrah.

You could browse the place with a fake email and a fake photo? WTF.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

So far, everyone is missing two very important parts of this conversation.

1) Are these people victims of fraud?

and

2) Is this the tip of the iceberg?

On the first question: If the hackers are to be believed, Ashley Madison was targeted because it promised (for a $19 fee) that all of your information could be erased from the site. Upon release of the second data dump, there was a quote along the lines of, "You can now admit this is real, Noel" -- a direct shot at Noel Biderman, who runs the website. (I went to school with Noel, and with Jason DeZwerik, whose family owns the website.) One class-action lawsuit has now been filed in Canada. If this is a personal attack on the website for not doing what it promised, there are legal ramifications. And, who was wronged to the point they would take such revenge?

On the second: There are a few technology reporters saying the people laughing at this will not find it so funny when their personal health or tax information gets posted online. Because that's where we're going next.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does freq bring a different milf to every family barbecue?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm surprised (and thankful) that hasn't happened yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted