1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashley Madison leak: Is this newsworthy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I imagine that a week from now, there might not be any assets for people to go after.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if single people were using their work email on Match.com? News?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There's also a blackmail aspect of this making rounds that seems pretty disturbing.

Gotta love the internet/social media more and more all the time.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with Wicked - yes. Whether it's Ashley Madison, or Match.com, or your fantasy football league, you shouldn't be using your work email for that purpose. I think the scope would matter as to whether it became a story worthy of a journalism outlet pursuing. If Joe Smith is the FEMA director in your area, and you find a single signup email as the result of a FOIA request, that's probably not anything. But if he had hundreds of alerts over days? If he was using that email to coordinate dates? I think it would be.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Using your home email for work matters, for the most part, is something entirely different. Unless you're pulling a Hillary.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Yeah, but it's out there for anyone to find out so what good is blackmail at this point?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was one of the few to defend Gawker's story on the Conde Nast CEO (rightly or wrongly) considering him a public figure based on his title and the company he works for. But this is going too far. I don't know his following, but I doubt it's significant. Just because he is a hypocrite doesn't make it news. Never in my life heard this story or heard of this guy. I do think it's newsworthy if government employees or politicians are doing this on work time.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

At the intersection of the Internet and sex, everything is a story.

Hokie_pokie and wicked like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he isn't a public figure.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think it's news. I don't give a shit if people are trying to cheat or not. I also don't care if they did it on their employer's time.

Everyone, and I mean everyone --- including you fucks on here who are clearly hypocritical bastards --- have sneaked some personal time on the company at some point in your life. Big fucking deal.

If you do your job and do it well, I don't give a shit what you do in your personal life so long as it's not illegal, of course. If you sneaked 20 minutes of personal time at work, well good for you. If you claim you haven't, you're a liar.

expendable likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted