1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashamed enough to apologize

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Under the something to read thread ... Tom Hallman Jr., of the Oregonian, hits this out of the park for me.
    I teared up when he relayed his moment of shame .. It struck close to home for me ....

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2012/04/a_teacher_a_student_and_a_39-y.html

I was not rich. I was not poor. I was not cool. I wasn't an outcast either. I was a regular kid. Not handsome or cute. I was skinny with stick straight hair and thick (pop bottle thick) glasses. I was teased some and bullied a little, but not worse than many others.
    I WAS a regular kid who did and said a lot of mean and hurtful things to other kids, mainly for laughs.
    I was kid who didn't stand up for other kids that were being picked on - one in particular, maybe I'll share that story later ...

But wow ... This is a great story ..

Second part: Is there anything you want to share about something you did that to this day makes you ashamed?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I was growing up, being mentally retarded made you open for ridicule. I still remember a kid many would tease mercilessly. Since I was a minority, I did not join in but I simply stood aside and let it happen. To Scott *****, I wish I could apologize to you.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I went to an all-white school in a predominantly white area. One of the other schools in our region had a star running back, who was black. The rest of his team was as white as us. We drew them in the playoffs. I remember one of the seniors going around trying to come up with a list of racial slurs he could call the kid during the game. I said nothing to stop because I was a "sophomore" and quiet. I wished I had the courage to slug him. I didn't and even meekly offered a slur to his list when he asked me in front of the rest of the team.

The only good lining is that now I won't let anyone say crap around me like that without calling them out. Still, I wish I started just a bit sooner.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'll tell one:

I had just turned 16. Just got my license, and my first job as a busboy/dishwasher at a Catfish restaurant making $4.25 an hour. The head chef and part-owner of the place was a raging alcoholic lunatic with a short temper and a reputation that preceded him. I was scared of him.

Fast forward to closing time one night after I'd been there about a month. A kid in my grade was working his first night on the job. As we were cleaning up the kitchen he asked me if it was okay if he got some shrimp to take home. Not really paying any attention, I assumed he was referring to fried shrimp that was had not been served, which would have been fine to take. I told him yeah, go ahead. He wasn't talking about cooked shrimp. He went into the freezer and got a bag full of frozen or raw shrimp.

Minutes later, as the kid is about to walk out, the chef sees him carrying the bag and asks him what he has. The kid says shrimp. The chef flies off the handle, starts screaming "YOU'RE STEALING FROM ME!!!" at the kid and all kinds of hell. Kid is frightened to death, I'm at the dishwasher watching, and kid points to me and says "But he told me I could!" Chef looks at me. I can't remember his exact words, but asks me if that's true. I don't remember what I said, but scared out of my wits, I did not clarify the situation or come to the kid's defense. I probably said "I didn't say that" or something similar. Kid was fired on the spot. I never apologized to him and feel like a douche to this day for not doing more in that situation.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I read this article early and thought it was fantastic.

Really, I could deal out a ton of these apologies. I was bullied in early middle school but was popular in high school. I couldn't just leave it at that, I had to be an asshole about it. There are a couple of kids who I owe apologies to, but oddly enough I'd say they're all aquatinces now.

I can still be a mean girl though and Dr. J points it out all the time. I can't help it. People just piss me off sometimes and I go overboard.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

God, you should be.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Member

Pretty powerful.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That was wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

When I was a kid (up to 7th grade) I was always 4-6 inches taller than anyone else. Due to that I was always bullying people to get what I wanted. I have too long a list of people I beat up for no real reason and too long a list of people I made fun of mercilessly for laughs (class clown).

I was also one to steal things small things. The one that has stuck with me is when I stole a ring from my best friends dad's bedroom. It was just a simple silver ring that I liked the look of. I remember my father found it a while later and knew it couldn't be mine. He took it but I refused to tell him where I got it. Many years later I found that ring in a dresser drawer of my parents. When looking at it as an adult I realized it was his wedding ring. He wasn't married anymore because his wife was an alcoholic but I remember my friend and his dad talking to her on the phone often and I knew there was still some love there. By the time I realized what it was I hadn't seen my friend in more than a decade and had no way of finding his dad. This one still bugs me.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Say three Hail Marys, an Act of Contrition, two Our Fathers and keep it moving, folks.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Just wondering what took so long....

12. This is one of the reasons - despite my lack of faith - is why I still go to confession.

I go the face-to-face confessions (partly to make sure the priest isn't pleasuring himself while listening to sins!) to make it as humbling as possible for myself when I admit my faults and wrongdoings.

Draft saved Draft deleted