1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE wanted - Odessa (TX) American

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lono, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lono

lono Active Member

The Odessa American needs a motivated and accurate assistant sports editor for an award-winning sports section. The assistant sports editor position at the Odessa American in many ways is the backbone of the department. Duties include, but are not limited to, editing stories as well as breaking news online and helping lay out the section. Ideal candidate will be able to write, edit, design and paginate while maintaining high standards for both online and in the daily paper. The successful applicant must be motivated and willing to go the extra step in customer service. Must pass a background and drug screening.

http://www.freedom.com/careers/job_info.asp?id=2367

2. Kaleb_R

Kaleb_R New Member

Re: ASE wanted

Anybody know any details on this one? (good gig? locale's like? salary guess?) Thanks.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A certain former colleague who once worked there referred to it (the city) as Odesalate. Hot, windy, dusty, west Texas.

Paper is owned by Freedom Communications. Sports staff appears to have five members. High school sports, especially football, seem to be the biggest draw. The book and television show Friday Night Lights was based there.

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

As far as opportunity goes I would think this is fertile ground. There aren't too many places with such a treasure trove of stories that you could write a book that becomes a movie that becomes a TV series that allows you to scarily berate bloggers as a guest panelist.

That being said, I have heard from all accounts that Odessa is, uh... bleak. But that could be an opportunity to write some country songs on the side.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Who's leaving?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What does "go the extra step in customer service" entail?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One Saturday night on the copy desk, got a call from a little old lady complaining she did not receive her paper. Well, on weekends all the outside lines rang directly to my desk.

Found out she lived less than a mile away and grabbed a copy and drove to her home to deliver it. It was around 8 p.m. Took all of about 15 minutes. Guess we made one subscriber happy that day.

8. I'm hearing this one just got filled by Ryan Nillson, former SE at the Red Wing (MN) Republican Eagle. Big jump from a twice-weekly to a leadership position at a good-sized daily. Can anyone out there confirm this?

Let's just say I'm interested to see/hear how this one turns out.

Draft saved Draft deleted