1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Santa Maria (Calif.) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR: Lee Central Coast Newspapers is seeking an experienced journalist to help oversee its sports operations of California’s beautiful Central Coast. This person will work with the sports editor to supervise sports coverage at our flagship Santa Maria Times, and at our other daily and weekly publications in the area. Applicants should have at least 2 years of professional experience as a sports reporter and/or editor, and be proficient in QuarkXpress or similar pagination programs. We’re looking for people with drive, talent and a love of sports, with an emphasis on prep and community-based coverage. This position, which includes considerable night and weekend work, involves a combination of news management, page layout and design, and reporting. Previous supervisory experience and Spanish-language skills will be considered a plus. Applicants should send a resume, work samples and a letter explaining their interest to: Tom Bolton, VP/News, Lee Central Coast Newspapers, PO Box 400, Santa Maria, CA 93456; or FAX to (805) 928-5657; or e-mail to: tbolton@santamariatimes.com.

Posted on the CNPA.com job site on 8/31/06

2. Claws for Concern

Small staff, but a decent little paper. I'd rather work here instead of the SB News Press. Other benefits to the Santa Maria area (65-70 miles north of Santa Barbara) is the golf, close to San Luis Obispo and the ever popular Santa Maria BBQ. Instead of seeing school clubs hold car wash fundraisers, they fire up the BBQ!

3. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

Sounds like a fun job. But what is the percent chance that it pays enough to live there?

4. You can afford to live there -- if you don't want to buy a house! But, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME place to live. SLO is one of the best places in the country to live. Large newshole for preps. Great place to cut your teeth.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Santa Maria tri-tip BBQ is awesome. Just awesome.

I worked there in the early 90s. Fun little town. Mark Brunell went to St. Joseph High, and at the same time right across the street at Righetti High was Robin Ventura. About 15 miles south at Lompoc High was Napolean Kaufman (a few years later). The Central Coast has some pretty good sports. Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, SLO, Santa Ynez, even Morro Bay. Santa Maria High is cool. Plus, Hancock College (juco) always used to be a player in most sports. I believe Bryn Smith is the pitching coach at Hancock. You could do a lot worse than living in Santa Maria.

Edit: And I still think that a Times guy would be so much better off staying instead of doing what he's decided to do. But, good lucky in your travels, buddy.

6. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

Shoot, I'm in the wrong business. I have a wife and two kids. Not buy a house? All the good jobs don't pay enough to buy a house...that sucks. :'(

7. Songbird

You could probably buy a house in Orcutt or Guadalupe or Nipomo, or any number of small towns surrounding Santa Maria.

8. Claws for Concern

9. Songbird

Does anyone know or know how to get a hold of Shelly Escalante?

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Do not forget stud softball pitcher Jocelyn Forest, who pitched at Cal and had a touching story with her late sister that Rick Reilly once chronicled.

Once covered a two-day softball playoff game with her that went 18 innings.

11. Claws for Concern

Didn't see Forest pitch there, but heard about that 18-inning game. I do still remember the calls from a certain catcher's mother who always wanted a story done on her daughter, you know, the one who caught all of Forest's games in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted