1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE - Potomac News Bill

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, May 24, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Damn. Someone didn't have a pleasant experience at the PotNews.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

BFD. I did that for an eight- to 12-page section almost every day for almost a year. I used it to go to a paper double the size and get a 20-percent pay raise. Nothing wrong with working hard, kicking ass and moving up.

3. patriotsfan80

patriotsfan80 New Member

Nothing wrong with working hard, kicking ass and moving up.
    [/quote]

I can't argue with that ... but if the dude who left that position is going BACK to the weekly paper he orginally left to come there ... that's gotta tell you something about working there.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

That's just dumb, patriots fan, er, former ASE at the PotNews. Plenty of folks have worked there and moved UP. What about those people? What's that tell you about working there? Your argument makes no sense.

5. patriotsfan80

patriotsfan80 New Member

I know people who have worked there and moved up that I still keep in contact with, but that doesn't mean the place doesn't suck. I was never an ASE there, but I'm good friends with someone who was for a year and he agrees with me wholeheartedly ... that place sucks.

You can move up no matter where you work if you know the right people.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

You can also move up if you work hard and are good at your job.

7. Stop kidding yourself, W-B. What do you know about working hard and being good at your job?

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Very little, but I've heard of it happening. I think.

9. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

Hey Pats fan, why are you bashing this job so hard? Especially if all your information is coming from someone else? You don't even know, your boy could have sucked ass at his job, got bitched at often for what he lacked, and that's why he was bitter and hated it there. Saying a place sucks is pretty harsh. I don't think that's the case if recent staffers have gone on to The Post, USA Today, The Examiner, The Times. As someone cool once said, "Stop Hatin." And go get your shine box.

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

We go back a while. We went to the Academy together, we were commissioned together, we did our tours in Vietnam together. But I've been promoted up through the chain with greater speed and success than you have. Now if that's a source of tension or embarrassment for you, I don't give a shit.

11. patriotsfan80

patriotsfan80 New Member

Super Deuce, you know me man ... think ... You've always known how I felt about that place.

The Pot News SE called my boy the "best desk person we ever had" when both of us were there.

12. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

I think everywhere you go has its problems. For instance, where I'm at now, the toilet paper feels like paper towels. That's just unacceptable.

This is a good job. If you want a shot at moving up, hop on this one. You can make your mark and move on relatively quick if you have skillz.

Draft saved Draft deleted