1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE - Potomac News Bill

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, May 24, 2007.

1. Company: Potomac News Bill
    Position:
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    June 28, 2007
    Job ID: 781557

Description:
    The Potomac News and the Manassas Journal Messenger, two dailies about 25-30 miles outside Washington, D.C., are seeking an assistant sports editor. Candidate would be responsible for putting out the joint sports section five days a week on a Tuesday-Saturday shift. We primarily cover the preps, but we also cover some pros and colleges and a Class A minor-league baseball team that is affiliated with the Washington Nationals. Candidate must possess ability to put out great-looking and error-free pages on deadline. Knowledge of Quark Express and Photoshop a must. Applicants should send a resume, a cover letter and five design samples to Jobs, Potomac News, P.O. Box 2470, Woodbridge, Va. 22195-2470 or e-mail to jobs@potomacnews.com. These two papers are owned by Media General, the Southeast' s leading provider of news, and offer excellent opportunities for advancement at our mid-size and metro dailies.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If I apply and get the job, do you want to take that bike ride along the Potomac we talked about so long ago?

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Who's leaving?

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Our ASE came to us from Williamsburg. After the fiasco down there, he was basically told the job was his if he wanted it. And apparently he did. So here we are.

PM me if you want more info, but we've had a few openings lately that have led to threads on here. I believe the basics were covered there.

And I have no idea what the Bill thing is about. There's not a Bill anywhere in editorial that I know of.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The mysterious Bill reference reminded me of this, for some reason:
    [​IMG]
    Which I do think is clever.

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I've not heard good things about the outgoing ASE, now that I know who he is.

That said, the ASE job is a good gig with the PotNews.

8. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

so why would the dude leave a daily for a semi-weekly? I'm no genius but that seems like your going backwards. But what the hell do I know.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Maybe you have to pay to work at the Pot News.

Can't speak to the job, but the people I know there are good (except that one dude, he sucks!)

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

One would guess that the Virginia Gazette wouldn't pay as much as an ASE spot in Woodbridge. Obviously, the cost of living his through the roof in northern Virginia. It likely not as bad in Williamsburg, but it's not cheap there either.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Yeah, that guy's an asshole. Screw him.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I know the guy in question, and he was making okay coin at the Va. Gazette. Okay enough that he turned down daily jobs because it would be a pay cut.

If you find the right non-daily in Virginia, you can actually make a better living than you would at a small daily.

Draft saved Draft deleted