1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GeorgeMoore, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

More newspapers should name their special sections after bars.

2. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

Yeah, not my first choice of names, but we didn't name it after the bar. There's a fruit stand on the west side named FloraBama. That's where we got it, yeah.

3. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

$34,000 is the ballpark measuring stick.
    Somebody in that chain, doing exactly or close-to the same job, somewhat recently, was making that kind of money.
    If there are more duties with this newest spot, perhaps more work will be required and more compensation will be in order.
    But $34,000, as I see it, is pretty dang close to what whoever takes this job will be making.
    Were I not living overseas, I'd apply. I'd do my 40 hours at this gig for that kind of dough.
    Long as they understood that I'd get OT pay if they kept me over.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

You sound like a helluva catch, hed bust.

If I paid you 34,100, would you grace my shop with your presence? I bet you could make the higherups here understand just how valuable you are, and just how much they'd be paying if they kept you over.

How the hell did your current gig land a guy like you?

5. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Actually, they told me you had applied first, but they didn't like your resume and portfolio.

Please don't try to judge me or my composition by the info you see on this damn message board.

And if you really insist, just fuck off.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

So does that mean you won't come work with me for $34,100? $34,200? Come on!

7. BudMan

BudMan Member

George, you're in a Gannett toilet and and company standing operating procedure is to flush away people like you after 18 months or so. Remember to update the PNJ Web site every 15 minutes and keep your resume up to date.

8. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

I must be too big to flush because I've been here for ... a decade on and off. We have a new publisher and EE who have sports backgrounds, so the higher-ups actually care what we're doing. It's the best situation we've had since ... forever.

9. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

I've gotten a few good resumes, but I'd like a few more before I interview. If you're interested, drop me an e-mail.

georgewmooreiii@pensacolanewsjournal.com

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I don't know George, but the EE over there is top-notch. He has a real passion for sports and offers a lot of room to improve the section. He even gives feedback if you need it.
    I'm not a big fan of the company, but I've heard good things about George, so this could be a positive situation for a young guy looking to make his mark.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Bump. Update? Bueller?
    Yeah, what I sent George wasn't a traditional app, but what the hell. Just wondered where the process is at this point.

12. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

Um, yeah, Joe. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that. As for an update, I meet with the EE tomorrow for our weekly update. I'm going to find out details about bringing in hopefuls then. So if there's anyone out there interested, let me know ASAP.

Draft saved Draft deleted