1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE opening in the Quad-Cities

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Victor Smalley, Jan 1, 2007.

1. From the Lee job board ...

The Quad-City Times -- previous winner of APSE prestigious Top Ten sports section – seeks an Assistant Sports Editor to raise our already high bar of sports coverage. As ASE, you will be involved in all aspects of the Sports section; helping to determine and plan content, and to oversee the desk operation.

This is a multi-purpose position, with involvement in several aspects of the sports department operation. Specific duties include working with correspondents; hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating part-timers; and planning future coverage. The ASE also fills in as the head of the department when the Assistant Managing Editor/Sports is absent. The ASE will work on the copy desk on a regular basis, doing at least three (and usually four) night shifts each week.

Candidates should have solid judgment, be progressive and open-minded in their approach to journalism, be skilled as a designer and copy editor, and have a strong commitment to the value of enterprise reporting. You must possess a bachelor’s degree with at least 3 to 5 years of experience at a daily newspaper.

The Quad-City Times is a 53,000 daily/70,000 Sunday newspaper located along the Mississippi River in Davenport, Iowa. The Quad-City region (population 350,000) is an outdoors hotbed and an active community with great parks, the mighty river, a great bike path system and social events all year long. We have minor league baseball, Arena Football and UHL hockey. Also, we're close to Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Minneapolis and Omaha.
    If you want to be part of a team that continues to push the limits, look no further.

Please send your resume with cover letter, clips, your portfolio, etc. to:

The Quad-City Times
    Attn: Assistant Sports Editor
    500 E. 3rd Street
    Davenport, IA 52801

Fax: (563) 383-2464

Email: jobs@qctimes.com

Drug Free Workplace/Equal Opportunity Employer

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Close to Chicago? OK, I'll buy that.

But St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Omaha? That's a major stretch. You can't even drive directly from St. Louis, Minneapolis or Milwaukee, and driving to Omaha from the Quads is like negotiating the Russian steppe.

That trifling potshot aside, I've heard good things about this paper.

3. JB20

JB20 Member

Yeah, it's tough to get on I-80 and drive directly to Omaha. Four hours.

4. Bubbler

That's not my point and you know it. The Quad Cities are hardly "close" to Omaha.

5. Bubbler's right. It's like saying St. Louis is close to Chicago.

6. Bubbler

But we all know the Quads are 15 minutes from Tahoe.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

The Quad Cities are absolutely dreadful though ... White Trash Heaven

8. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Cities are close to St. Louis and Minneapolis, like Yuma is close to San Diego and Phoenix. Don't be fooled folks.

I have heard good things about this paper and I would have applied for the gig if I was still searching.

9. JB20

JB20 Member

Chicago is two hours and St. Louis a little over three. Milwaukee is three, Omaha four and Minneapolis maybe five.

I think all they are saying is that if you need a big city close to you, there are some. Close to some is 2-4 hours. Close to others is 30-45 minutes.

I've made the drive from the Quad Cities to all those cities. None is a bad drive.

As for the paper, it's very solid. One of the best in the Midwest, and maybe the country, for its size.

10. Pops

Pops Member

If you don't mind worrying about people being shot a block from your house every night, this is a good situation to get into. Big staff that puts out a nice section.

That said, this job will be filled in-house. Too many candidates to make the public posting more than a Lee formality.

11. beardown

beardown Member

Good place, not white trash heaven. It's a good paper that covers several D-Is, the Chicago sports scene and some of the bigger events in the Midwest. It's a good move for a copy editor at a decent-sized metro who wants to go into management.

12. Mira

Mira Member

My husband grew up in Moline and we visit the Quad Cities at least six to eight times per year. It is a nice area. Yeah, there are dumpy pockets, but it isn't that bad. Now if you're going to start talking about Kankakee, there's a city I'll trade barbs about with y'all.

The paper is very good -- does a decent job covering semi-pro hockey, preps and Chicago-based sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted