1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Norwich

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fink-Nottle, Aug 2, 2006.

1. A better guy? Not from the stories I've heard coming out of that newsroom.

2. This one is about to be filled.

3. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

And from what I'm hearing, it's a guy with zero previous newsroom experience. Zero. Which would make sense for Norwich.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

It has to pay mid 30s. My advice -- stay away. It gets killed by The Day and there is no opportunity to do anything meaningful. Maybe if it was Sports Editor it would look good on a resume. But, this is Gannet, and they treat the paper like trash.

5. But that is what this paper has a history of doing from I hear. They hire the least qualified candidates sometimes for the job. How can you hire someone with zero newsroom experience for such a position? It makes absolutley no sense, but if it makes no sense, then it's right for Gannett.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Zero newsroom experience? So it's a recent college grad?

7. No, but from what I hear that might actually be an improvement.

8. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

My understanding is it is a former stringer

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

"former stringer"?...not familiar with the term...

10. Well Dan, the new assistant sports editor at this paper is now a former stringer. Don't know exactly when he starts, but the job is his. From what I know from someone who used to work there, this guy was their high school sports guru for the northern part of the circulation area. He is a radio guy who writes brutal copy that has to be heavily edited. Don't know how being in a radio setting is going to transfer over to a newsroom, but I can't imagine it being easy. Plus, for a staff and paper this size, everybody is expected to design pages and this guy has zero Quark experience. Now I know that can be taught, but if this guy can't put together a sentence, how is he going to put together a page.

This seems to be a typical Gannett hire. They do the things that make the least sense. From what I hear, there were better candidates for this job. And I'm surprised they didn't hire a minority considering they are down one after letting one go.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying there are some very gifted people who have earned their way to good careers with Gannett.

But there are also some people who lack the basic skills, respect for the job or other key ingredients that have done just as well. And people talk about the minority hiring focus of the company, but two of the most incompetent Gannett types I've known were white males who just had a knack for kissing the right ass at the right time.

Draft saved Draft deleted