1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Norwich

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fink-Nottle, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Fink-Nottle

Fink-Nottle New Member

Norwich Bulletin
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Norwich, Connecticut

The Norwich Bulletin is seeking a web-savvy, accomplished manager with the vision to create change, write powerful headlines and manage enterprise projects while focusing on daily coverage that gets into peoples' lives and interests. , will be the hallmarks of the successful candidate. Strong page design and headline-writing abilities are a must, as are solid planning and organizational skills. High standards and a commitment to aggressive and creative sports coverage required. Send resume and work samples to Managing Editor James Konrad, Norwich Bulletin, 66 Franklin St., Norwich, CT., 06360 or email hhagans@norwich.gannett.com

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

anyone know what this gig pays? and will this paper ever stop getting its ass kicked by the Day?

3. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Member

No idea what the pay is. And no, it will never stop getting kicked all over eastern Connecticut by The Day. Management overhaul doesn't appear to have done the trick. I would call it a stepping stone paper at best, but make it a quick step.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Looks like this job was re-posted to the journalismjobs.com site today (Sept. 5)

Company: Norwich Bulletin
    Position: Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: October 10, 2006
    Job ID: 666427

Description:
    The Norwich Bulletin is seeking a web-savvy, accomplished manager with the vision to create change, write powerful headlines and manage enterprise projects while focusing on daily coverage that gets into peoples' lives and interests. , will be the hallmarks of the successful candidate. Strong page design and headline-writing abilities are a must, as are solid planning and organizational skills. High standards and a commitment to aggressive and creative sports coverage required. Send resume and work samples to Managing Editor James Konrad, Norwich Bulletin, 66 Franklin St., Norwich, CT., 06360 or email hhagans@norwich.gannett.com

5. Agreed on all counts. For some reason management has this illusion the Bulletin is a place to stay at, but it certainly isn't. This is a sinking ship and you'll be working with a staff mostly unaware which way is up.

6. StuartShinske

StuartShinske New Member

Hi, I'm Stuart Shinske, the executive editor of the Norwich Bulletin and a regular reader of this web site. If anyone has any questions about our newspaper, the Sports Department and its coverage, our ethics, diversity or other policies mentioned on SportsJournalists.com, I'm happy to answer them. Feel free to email me directly at sshinske@norwichbulletin.com. Thank you.

7. You know this is job is a trap when a top editor of any paper has to come on here and defend the paper.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah. this job sounds awfully suspect.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stuart's an excellent journo and a better guy.

If he didn't come on here, you'd be saying "Wow, that paper must suck, its editor won't even come on here to defend it."

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Norwich got toasted here in a previous job board thread, and it got kind of nasty. Not surprised the EE would make a pre-emptive strike. Nothing wrong with it.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This is one of those jobs that's been reposted, kinda like the Lafayette editor opening. Kinda wondering the mentality on applying a second time for gigs that are reposted. Is there a point, or do you just assume they didn't like you the first time around and you shouldn't waste yours or their time?

12. A story I once heard about the SE in Norwich: When said SE was working in New Hampshire, he bragged to his co-workers about the fact he figured out how to use the back roads to get to work and thus not pay the 75-cent toll on the highway. Any wonder he's now Gannett management?

Draft saved Draft deleted