1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE North County Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by champ, Sep 7, 2007.

1. champ

champ New Member

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2007/2123.html

The North County Times is looking for an assistant sports editor to help manage a talented, ambitious sports staff that was recognized by the APSE for finishing in the top 20 in daily sports sections and top 10 in five writing categories in 2006.

Also in 2006, the Suburban Newspaper Association judged our section to be the best in its circulation category. More important than awards, we're gaining readers in print (circulation is rising, slightly) and online. Our high school Web site, nctvarsity.com, experienced massive growth in the last year and continues to attract new viewers.

The North County Times is a 90,000-plus circulation newspaper that covers north San Diego County. Our readers demand in-depth coverage on a broad range of local topics. We have writers devoted to the Chargers, Padres, Aztecs, more than 30 high schools and community sports.

The right person for this job will have the proven ability to: work with writers to sharpen and add depth to their stories; lead the desk by reacting quickly and smartly to breaking news while ensuring deadlines are met; produce clean, eye-catching section fronts that have impact; interact smoothly and effectively with other departments; and help build and promote a team atmosphere.

To apply, please send resume, cover letter, examples of your best work and references by e-mail to lnelson@nctimes.com or by regular mail to:

Loren Nelson
    Sports Editor
    North County Times
    207 East Pennsylvania Ave.
    Escondido, CA 92025

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

so, is this more of a design gig?

3. I'm guessing either Eric Breier or Shaun O'Neil is leaving, creating this opening. And unless things have changed, it's very much a desk position.

Great part of the country to live in, but very expensive, and the paper doesn't pay well -- it's often referred to as the San Diego Discount.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Yes, it's expensive, and if memory serves, they don't pay for relocation.

5. I think they say that about the relocation up front to keep away some of the people who aren't really serious about the job in the first place.

When I interviewed back in the day, during our first phone conversation they said they wouldn't pay for coming in for the interview or for relocation. Once I was offered the job, they came through with both.

Draft saved Draft deleted