1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Naperville (IL) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by OrangeGrad, Oct 11, 2006.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

From jj.com

The Naperville Sun is looking for an energetic and creative sports journalist to join one of the nation's top departments as its assistant sports editor.
    Candidates should have at least three years of sports journalism experience in a daily newspaper setting and must be willing to work up to 5 nights per week, including weekends. Prior editing experience and knowledge of InCopy and InDesign is preferred.

Naperville is a 135K population city located about 30 miles west of Chicago - Illinois and Midwest candidates preferred.

If interested, please email resumes and editing or writing samples (specify which) to Sun Sports Editor Brad Nolan at bnolan@scn1.com

I've been told this is a pretty solid paper. Is what I hear true?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It won all kinds of awards back when it was a weekly, and hasn't missed a beat since switching to a daily a few years ago. Good paper. I think it's a Guild paper, but I'm not sure if an ASE would be part of the Guild.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

4. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

Tremendous paper for its sized and resources. Tremendous staff. And no, it's not part of a guild (though it is owned by the Sun-Times group). There's probably not a department in the country at any size paper that has a group of people that feed off each other more and strive for greatness on a daily basis. You're in a great sports market and close to Chicago. The pay would be in the low 30s I'd imagine. Someone young looking to break in their management skills and springboard on would be wise to apply.

5. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

The sports editor there (forget his name) is a nice guy with a lot of talent. The guy who left this position recently became a sports editor elsewhere in Illinois. From what I've heard from some former staffers, this place sounds like it's pretty solid.

6. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

The previous sports editor, John Roberts, is now an ASE at the Pioneer Press in St. Paul, Minnesota. Good cat.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes.

8. Greenhaus70

Greenhaus70 New Member

Interesting.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Someone old (35-and-up), this is your cue to look elsewhere. Or, find a way to an age discrimination issue.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

If you want the awards breakdown for The Sun.
    2003: First year as a daily, won honorable mention in the Under 40,000 Daily category from APSE
    2004: Honorable mention Daily, Top 10 Sunday. Writers Brad Engel, Paul LaTour and Jim Owczarski take writing awards (all are currently on staff).
    2005: Top 10 Daily, Honorable mention for special section. LaTour wins two awards and Owczarski takes one.

That's in addition to Dan Wiederer, who went on to win a couple more at the Fayetteville, N.C., paper. They've also taken numerous state and regional awards. Also, The Sun has had writers mentioned in BASW for three straight years: Alan Ferguson, Wiederer (for a story he did while at The Sun) and LaTour (this year's edition).

12. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Is this a straight up design and editing job or is there some writing and planning involved?

Draft saved Draft deleted