1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I didn't think so, Hawkeye.
    Read my earlier posts. I don't think it's any tougher than any other major daily.

2. Well, from what I saw on a brief visit there, it's a nice nameplate on your resume, but that city has some major problems.

and the paper wasn't too far behind that.

good reporters. desk seemed pretty understaffed. not really happy, either, but they did make an effort to show that they were.

my thought was that there should be a lot more balance. good reporters, happy desk pumping it out, team wins.

I didn't see that in Miami. I took the other job.

3. Not to be defensive, but can you really tell how happy people are when you come in for a job interview?

And is any sports copy desk really happy?

That said, I'm sure the desk situation could be better.

4. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

I agree MHchick ... it's tough to tell how happy a desk during an interview because the desk is trying to be professional while the candidate is there. That being said, I don't know why a desk would be bitter unless they're frustrated writer-wannabes. Desk jobs are the better paying jobs (unless you are a columnist or you have a big beat), you have NO travel and a pretty steady schedule. A lot of people hate they're jobs (not just at newspapers) and push forward because of responsibilities at home. But there's no gun pointed at anyone. If you don't like it, leave.

5. You're obviously not a desker.

Also, the impression I get from Miami (of course, it could have been Orlando) is that the desk is so unhappy because it's woefully understaffed.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's just uninformed.

Miami's desk has always been understaffed, and that was the root of unhappiness, for the most part.

When I was there a long time ago, it was a unique kind of unhappiness that's probably difficult to convey to an outsider. I don't think we had anyone who could accurately be described as bitter. In fact, there was better "team spirit" than I've seen anywhere before or since. People believed in the product, believed in each other, believed in the sports editor and even for the most part believed in Knight Ridder since a lot of them bought stock in the company. But with a small desk and 6-8 deadlines per night (depending on what you were doing), there was no letup and most people did not believe they were compensated adequately. In fact, there really is no way to adequately compensate a person for that, because stressed out and exhausted is stressed out and exhausted no matter how much they pay you.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

One of my previous stops had a similar feel, and I would leave exhausted most nights after balancing doing and managing. Places that respect the desk tend to be better places to work throughout.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Actually, I do not believe there was a disrespect for the desk, quite the opposite, although I understand why you could assume that. The SE at the time I was there, who is now the top editor of the Detroit Free Press, put more effort into recruiting desk people than anyone I've seen -- corresponding with people even when he had no openings. We started talking about two years before I was hired.

When I arrived I was completely unprepared for the pace. I'm not sure anyone ever is prepared for it. The SE told me that management was aware that it was crazy, but that the desk was a proving ground from which many sports editors came. I don't think it was a lack of respect, I think in some ways they respected us too much, as if we were capable of handling anything without crashing.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hardest, and also in many ways one of the most educational, places I ever worked.

10. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

elis ... your right ... I'm not a desker ... deskerers never make mistakess ... especially when you right two sentencess.

Frank, why is the newspaper business the only business where people are overworked, underappreciated and underpaid? I'm sure most people feel that way about THEIR job (yes, there are other jobs besides working at newspapers). All I'm saying is if you don't like the hours and the frustrations, get out of the business. I've worked on some pretty good desks over the years. The individuals that can separate the job from the rest of their life are the ones that aren't so bitter and don't create bad desks.

Desk jobs pay pretty well at the larger papers, where the workload is greater and so is the pressure. Some people can handle it, some can't. Those that can't need to find another job.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Look, you aren't going to get this. Miami is different. It's not your fault that what you've seen elsewhere doesn't translate to Miami, but you are ignorant just the same. It's OK, everyone's that way before they get there. Before I interviewed, the SE in San Jose at the time, another Miami alum, told me, "The Herald is a very special place, different from any other sports department." I said, how? He said, "You'll see." And he laughed. In my mind later, I recalled it as a sinister laugh, but it probably wasn't. :)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Florida is an interesting place.

I think most of the big papers in the state have a lot of pressure on the desk.

It is a rare state that not only is a huge prep breeding ground but takes college sports as seriously as pro sports.

I think only Atlanta has a similar situation and I would guess it probably is a lot better equipped to handle the deluge on the desk.

Whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted