1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

From APSE jobsite:

Date posted: 10/19/2006
    Newspaper: The Miami Herald
    Job listing: Assistant Sports Editor
    Contact
    (e-mail): Jorge Rojas, Executive Sports Editor
    jrojas@miamiherald.com
    Phone number: —
    Information: Would you like to spend your days at the beach or playing golf and your nights working in one of the nation's best (and busiest) sports markets?

The Miami Herald has an immediate opening for an assistant sports editor. We're looking for an experienced editor who has excellent news judgment and thrives on deadline. This position will involve shifts supervising the night operation and/or serving as copy chief.

Please send resumes to:

Jorge Rojas
    Executive Sports Editor
    The Miami Herald
    1 Herald Plaza
    Miami, FL 33132

2. sheos

sheos Member

who's leaving/left?

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I believe this is a vacancy created when Seth Lewis left for Texas to pursue his PH.D, though by the description it doesn't sound like exactly the job that Seth held (i.e., I see no mention regarding high school sports management). Other hires had taken a priority over this one.

I can tell you this after working at the Herald for nine months ... it's a good job working with an excellent desk. Hours can be on the long side, but if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, contact Jorge.

The Herald will move quickly if a candidate knocks their socks off.

P.S. - And before the usual post comes regarding crime in Miami (who is that idiot who posts that note every time there is a Miami opening?), there are good and bad neighborhoods in the area ... just avoid the bad neighborhoods and you are fine. Miami is no different than any other major metropolitan area. Crime exists. Deal with it.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

This gig would have been quite intriguing in the Herald's recent past. Isn't the section (and department) an example of the lessening of quality and quantity as the bean counters are more in the mix?

5. The Herald is doing better financially than it was 10 years ago. Hard to see how this job would have been different, say, five years ago. Now, from what people tell me, it might have been different a long time ago.....

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Lessening of quality? I can't speak for the Herald today vs. the Herald of the past, but I can't imagine the quality of the paper being that much worse.

They did some fantastic work during the Olympics and the Heat's run to the NBA title in the past year, play pro and college football well and produce on the high school level (without overkill, which I appreciated. I am not a prep lover). The Herald continues to be an APSE Triple Threat year in and year out, and many of the writers and columnists pocket individual awards on the state and national level.

And as far as diversity ... I believe it to be one of the most, if not THE most, diverse sports staff I've heard of in the biz. Men and women; white, black and Hispanic; West Coast, East Coast and Midwest; European, Caribbean and South American.

And then there's the view outside your work window. SoBe to the east; downtown Miami to the west and Biscayne Bay in between. Beats Michigan winters.

Hope to go back someday.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Even when KR was running the show in Miami, they tended to be hands off on the Herald and give the paper space, resources, etc. It's McClatchy now, so that might make the paper even better. We'll see.

8. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Don't know anything about this job specifically. But Jorge is a good guy and they have a quality staff. Miami gets a bad rap on here sometimes, but I think this would be a very good spot.

9. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

What would Miami pay for someone with 20 years' experience? Or do they want to go young and cheap?

10. boots

boots New Member

Unfortunately, because of the bean counters, they are probably going to go young and cheap. That's pretty fucked up. Remember when they told you that you didn't have the experience. Now, you may have the experience but in their eyes, you may be too costly. Just another reason why this business is going down fast like the Titanic.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

That's too bad. I always thought the Miami Herald would be one of those great places to work. Anyone have stories to tell from inside?

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Read above, Trojanhorse, for an answer to your posting.

Also, I think comments about the Herald looking to hire young and cheap for this position aren't fair. You don't know what you are talking about. The Herald will review all candidates, bring in one or two that they like for an interview and make an offer. Their most recent hire for a similar position had more than a decade of experience at a major Midwest newspaper.

If you are just out of school or still new to the biz, you had better be exceptional because you likely don't have a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted