1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Lakeland, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NatureBoy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with you on either count. I learned so much from Valerino from how to work more efficiently to how to be a professional. He was a true teacher and it shows in the staff, all of whom worked under him for the majority of their careers. As for Cobby, he was a pitcher for one of the old Florida Southern national title teams in the 70s. If he's hitting .290, it's quite a feat :)

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

nolesfan, I'm glad a guy like John is retired (cheerfully no doubt) and won't have to experience the throes of this business.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just scanned the thread ...

I didn't see a mention of what kind of area Lakeland is. My experiences with the town, which are few, are that it's a cool little town. A good bit to do there, and even more stuff not too far away. A retiree town, I believe, and certainly one I'd settle in.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And don't forget about Molly McHugh's. Great Irish bar.

5. nafselon

Oh Lakeland is a town that has its moments but its more family-oriented and can be tougher on single people once they've reached the age of 25 or more. Don't expect the theaters to have a movie showtime of later than 10 p.m. and the good restaurant close at about that time. Good golf courses though. Lakeland has six or seven Starbucks places though between stand alones and shoppes located inside Barnes & Noble and Target. It's very peaceful though, 45K-50K goes a pretty long way since rent prices are still among the cheapest in Florida.

If you want more excitement go East on I-4 to Orlando or West on I-4 to Tampa. Although, as a proud St. Pete resident I have no clue why anyone would want to go to Tampa :)

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Gee, Tampons would say the same thing about you Peters.

7. nafselon

But they've be wrong :). Although being fair, I guess the area from Bayshore to Channelside is perfectly acceptable.

8. Someone mentioned pay as 45-50K earlier. Any idea if that's standard for an ASE at this size paper?

9. zman82

zman82 Member

don't know much about lakeland but will agree with nafselon on that one. having vacationed in both st. pete and tampa, i'd prefer to settle in st. pete. then again, right now i can't afford to live in either.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Standard is as standard does ... in other words, there is no "standard" in da bidness. Market size, cost of living, how much they can fleece you for ... ALL factors. At least, I know they are when I go hiring peeps. :)

rb

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't see a point in relocating to Florida if you're going to be landlocked. But, that's just me.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Water's overrated.

Draft saved Draft deleted