1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Lakeland, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NatureBoy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Joker Marchant Stadium is solid.

2. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Pretty sure Della Costa's in her mid-30s, and she did have a stop in Tuscaloosa.

3. LemMan

LemMan Member

Joker Marchant is my favorite spring training facility. I haven't been to them all yet, but I have been to Legends Field and McKechnie and Port St. Lucie and the like, and Joker Marchant blows them all away.

As for the paper, all of the writers I have come in contact with have been good people. Very friendly and generous.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I worked there for much of my career. I can't disagree with Side2 on the writers. I know each of them well and I love every damn one of them.

Great people.

As for the L-Tigers, the Ledger had a super stringer who covered most of their games home and away and he did it with a lot of passion. If he's still there he still does it but I'm not sure if he is.

Meanwhile I'll concur on Joker Marchant, any stadium that has seats that can fit my big ass comfortably is a place I love. Also the fact that my beloved Mets make Lakeland a yearly spring stop these days is even better.

However, I must admit the Phillies facility in Clearwater (Brighthouse Networks Field) is damn impressive.

5. Side2Front

Side2Front New Member

nafselon: Do you have any idea why the Lakeland paper stopping running boxes? I've seen two papers this week and no NHL or NBA boxes. What gives?

6. zman82

zman82 Member

is this job really open or just rumored to be? there's nothing about the opening on the NY times site regarding any sports openings in lakeland or gainsville - the papers they own.

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The paper was on a hiring freeze, though I don't know why there would be a Poynter ad for it if there was no intention of filling it.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

It's open and apparently it's never been actually frozen...just frosty. The publisher has recently announced his retirement so another management overhaul awaits.

Meanwhile I have no clue why the section isn't running boxes.

9. Side2Front

Side2Front New Member

According to the scuttlebutt it's open but that could've changed by the time this message is read. I think all NY Times properties are in a hiring frost of sorts.

I wonder how much of this job is managing and improving the section and how much is just being a copy editor in charge of babysitting the desk. Like I've said, a lot of potential but that job hasn't had much luck since Pat Lammer left to take a job in South Florida.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Valerino was nothing but class, no bullshit acts, no agendas.

Mike Cobb is the kind of solid day in, day out .290 hitter that gets lost in all the stud cock-sucking around here.

11. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I'm sure a lot of what this person would be able to do depends on how hands-on Della Costa is. Does she like to delegate and share the planning aspect of the section or does she want it done her way or the highway. Having never met her, I couldn't tell ya. Anyone have insight???

12. AllenCone

AllenCone New Member

Many papers are cutting back on agate. The Chicago Tribune only runs hockey summaries for the Hawks. They also run a modified short form NBA box.

Draft saved Draft deleted