1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Lakeland, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NatureBoy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Here's the full description from the Poynter site ...

http://careers.poynter.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=2520783&keywords=&ref=1

And a brief description here ...

Assist sports editor by running the sports desk at night, overseeing the daily output of the sports section. He/she assumes the sports editor's responsibilities in her absence. Must be able to meet deadlines and adhere to AP and Ledger style.
    NOTES: Employer will assist with relocation costs

I don't know much about the paper, but being halfway between Tampa and Orlando is a pretty good location.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

and unlike the OTHER Florida opening, they're offering to help out with relocation.

3. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Anyone have any additional info on this one? Pros, cons, etc.

4. It's a New York Times newspaper, for whatever that's worth. There's two main people for preps, one that covers mostly Lakeland, and another that does youth and the east side of the county. They staff Bucs, Magic and sometimes Gators.

The SE's been there less than a year. I've heard she can be a hardass, though.

5. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Thanks for the info! I may look into this one.

6. This job was posted a few months back. I heard it was kind of a copy editor/ASE job, but I don't know if it was filled or if the candidate they had fell through.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Said hardass SE has indeed been there a little less than a year, and she is very good people. Then again, she has learned from some of the best -- and worst. Take your pick on which category yours truly falls in.

Lakeland is one of the better under-100K papers in the state. They spread out nicely in Sports, and manage to do a solid job doing so.

PM me if you want to know more.

rb

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

And the Rock, has spoken.

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Pretty solid paper and sports section, owned by the NY Times Co. Preps is the big deal, but the Bucs and college sports get a lot of love, too, as does golf. Not sure how many people are on the desk now, but I know there has been a hiring freeze for a while (no new positions). Should be a pretty good opportunity, though.

10. Side2Front

Side2Front New Member

Wonderful, veteran writing staff with several award winners on it many of whom I consider some of my very best friends in the business. I wouldn't say preps is the big deal, actually I would say Gators is the big deal with prep football being equally large. Lakeland High has won three straight state football titles and the county has had at least two representatives in the state football finals every year since 2003.

They've also put a big emphasis on NASCAR in recent years too. The other prep sports get treated as such except during state playoffs. Lakeland hosts state wrestling and basketball finals. The golf and outdoors writing is terrific and done by the same person, Del Milligan, one of the most efficient, clean and intelligent writers I've come across. They staff home and away Bucs, home Magic, most home Rays games, mostly Gators and USF college football and the Lightning during the playoffs if they have time.

Couldn't tell you about the SE other than I've only dealt with her on a couple of occasions. It's nearly impossible act to follow the wonderful, retired John Valerino. And Tigertown is a GREAT spring training complex. The Indians and Royals have, however, left or are leaving the area.

Desk staff is smaller and completely different than the one I knew. Section has shrank considerably too. Nice big newsroom, far bigger than most below 100Ks complete with its press building. Solid deadlines too. Lots of potential to do great things with that writing staff.

Anything else? PM me and I'll tell you what little else I know.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not only is Tigertown a great spring training facility, but there is also the Class A Lakeland Tigers, although I don't know how well the paper covers them.

As a side note, top pitching prospect Andrew Miller is expected to start the season there (but likely moved up to AA Erie in midseason).

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

How old is Della Costa? Was she once upon a time in Tuscaloosa?

Draft saved Draft deleted