1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Florida Today

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Sorry if this is a D_B. I know this job was open awhile back, so not sure if it's a re-open or more revolving door action.

http://jobpath.com/CSH/Details.aspx?did=J8N1GR6KM5DFKQK01G8&csh=CSH_GANNETT

Description
    Asst. Sports Editor leads the editing and presentation of sections produced by the sports copy desk. Responsibilities include ensuring that work produced by the sports desk meets or exceeds established standards for page design, headline and writing/editing; planning online content; and managing page flow to ensure a 100 percent on-time deadline performance. Position requires ability to fill in for sports editor with budget forming, meetings and planning.

Requirements
    Ideal candidate will be an experienced, creative layout editor with experience in managing special sections/projects and demonstrate a high skill level in designing pages, writing headlines and managing special projects.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They do go though SEs and ASEs, don't they?

3. floridasun

floridasun Member

Indeed they do. The opening was created when the ASE left to go to a paper somewhere else in Florida as SE. Of course, he hadn't been on this gig at FT for more than six months, which seems to be about the average for ASEs and SEs to stay there (read: put up with things). Word also is staff members have run screaming from this opening. Be wary ...

4. It is a pretty respectable paper, but the reason for the instability is dealing with the higher-ups, or so I hear from someone with knowledge of the situation.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

It's true that it's one of Gannett's better sections, but I applied once for an management opening there seven years ago and was so underwhelmed by upper management I didn't stop running until I was in Fernandina Beach. Sounds like I wasn't the only one.

6. Seems like the SE would have to deal with more upper management B.S. than the ASE. My guess is they hire both, the SE gets driven out of his mind and leaves, then the ASE is promoted, forced to double up on the work and then driven to insanity as well. Sound familiar?

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

So who is the SE now?

8. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Last I heard it was Lee Nessel, who moved up from the ASE post when Ralph Routon left late last year.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I thought she was the online editor or something

10. floridasun

floridasun Member

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I've also heard that while the work piles on one person for months at a time, pay (while not bad) hasn't been what it should be (from previous people who have held similar jobs) for some of these people who have busted their butts to get in position to be promoted/hired.

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

ASE went to the Charlotte Sun as SE. He had been at Fla. Today for several years, but not at the ASE post for long.

12. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

If you can run off Ken Bradley the way they did, I'd want no part of going there. He's as mellow and as good a guy as they get and if I guy like that goes running, it speaks volumes about the assholes that must be running the place.

Truly unfortunate.

Draft saved Draft deleted