1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE -- El Paso (Texas) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

El Paso is not the worst place in Texas, but it's not really a city either. Kinda a weird ass place if you ask Mr. Homer.

Anyone know what kind of $$$ they offer?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've been told it pays well, but I don't exactly know what that means.

And El Paso is a strange place, but if you ever kill anyone and want to leave the country quickly you are really close to the border.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Well, in that case, Angola...

Who died and left you Landry? Wait, cross-threading with Friday Night Lights. My bad.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

also, if you have a hot girlfriend or wife, let let her walk too close to the border. she'll end up dead in the desert in the south side.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Another thumbs-up for Erf. Looks like he's assembled a hell of a staff there with Bloomquist and (formerly, anyway) The Dog.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, Bloomquist is covering UTEP and Lenny is a solid high school writer for them. Plus, whoever gets hired there will get to enjoy listening to Erf giggle.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nothing whatsoever to say about the job, but whoever takes this had better have a good grasp of Spanish. Man who don't speak it ain't got no business bein' in a border town.

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I speak Spanglish

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just for some background, have you ever been to el paso or read the paper?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never read the paper, but I have been to El Paso. Once. Car broke down in Juarez. Fourteen hours, a dozen trips back and forth across the border, and several hundred dollars later I finally got it towed. The language barrier was a bit of a factor. And while I was there, it amazed me how few people spoke English. I figured it'd be pretty bilingual -- a lot of Spanish, but also plenty of people who spoke English. From my experience, it was probably 90 percent Spanish to 10 percent English.
    Hence, my belief that if you're going to live in a border town you'd better know enough Spanish to get by.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think we should stop short of listing our own requirements for jobs we know nothing about. would it be of great service? i'm sure it would. but if it were a mandate, i'm sure erf wouldn't have missed it.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

just talked to the erf, you'd be an idiot not to apply. looks like a badass job, with a good chain to boot. i know my resume is in.

Draft saved Draft deleted