1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE -- El Paso (Texas) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

from APSE ...

Date posted: 12/11/2007
    Newspaper: El Paso Times
    Job listing: Assistant Sports Editor
    Contact
    (e-mail): John Erfort, Sports Editor
    jerfort@elpasotimes.com
    Phone number: —
    Information: The El Paso Times (63,000 daily, 80,000 Sunday) is looking for an assistant sports editor for it's seven-person sports department that serves a greater metropolitan area of more than 1 million people in El Paso, Ciudad Juarez (Mexico) and southern and southeastern New Mexico and covers a local Division 1 college team (UTEP) and the Sun Bowl. We currently have a vote in the AP Top 25 poll, a vote in the Heisman balloting and a vote in the Texas AP high school football poll.

Candidates should have at least five years of experience in the sports department of a daily newspaper, and the ideal candidate will have some experience as a manager or assistant manager.

In this salaried position, you will be relied upon heavily in the areas of layout and design. Other duties will include coverage of daily budget meetings at least twice per week, special projects, assistance with story ideas and assignments, and taking an increased role in our online efforts, which are among the tops in our chain (Media News). Limited opportunities to write. Candidates also must like warm, sunny weather almost year round.

We are looking to move very fast in filling this position and candidates would need to be able to relocate before the end of January.

Applicants should apply via e-mail at: jerfort@elpasotimes.com and should attach a resume. No calls please.

Resumes/clips/references to:

John Erfort
    Sports Editor
    El Paso Times
    300 N. Campbell
    El Paso, TX 79901-1470

2. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

Now this sounds like a good gig. Anyone have any experience here?

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

That line's kinda funny ...

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

City is an interesting (but strangely suburban) U.S.-Mexico hybrid, and it has two hopping El Pollo Locos. Prep teams don't do much on a state level.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

John Erfort is absolutely one of the class guys in the business. When I was in college, he was incredibly helpful in helping me on my first job search.

He'd be a great guy to work with...

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

John Erfort is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met in this business and he can drink with the best of them.
    This is a pretty good job, though the EP Times has taken some circulation losses in recent years.
    A lot of good people on the staff as well in Bret Bloomquist and Lenny Jurado.

I'm assuming Chris Turner left?

Edit: To answer my own question. Turner quit sometime in the last month.

7. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Erfort is a great dude and really fun to hang out with at the state track meet. Bret is a class dude too. He gave me my first internship, so I suppose I'm kind of biased. This would be a good gig.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what in the heck happened to the dog? why did he quit?

and erf plays poker like a girl.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not sure. I heard he is out of the business and just living in El Paso.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shocking about the dog.

on the way out: erf is good people who takes his job seriously.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He's the head of the APSE in Texas now. Hell, maybe in the Southwest. I can't remember.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

to the person who gets this job: ask the erf about becoming a d-III fb studpuppy in pittsburgh.

Draft saved Draft deleted