1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE/Designer, Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Johnston, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Andy Johnston

Andy Johnston New Member

The Athens Banner-Herald seeks an energetic and professional assistant sports editor to lead the creation of vibrant sections on a daily basis.

This job is two-fold: 1. To work with the sports editor on generating dynamic and original story and centerpiece ideas and help plan sports coverage for the University of Georgia, 25 area high schools and an active community. 2. To implement those ideas nightly and make a strong visual imprint not only on our daily sections, but on special sections, Web and magazine projects throughout the year.

You must also have an excellent command of the language, solid news judgment and a flair for headline writing. Quark XPress and Photoshop experience is a must.

We want an individual who shows pride and passion in their work, and if you crave a visual leadership opportunity, this is it.

The Athens Banner-Herald is a Morris Communications-owned 32,000 daily AM in Athens, Ga., home of the University of Georgia and one of the greatest live music scenes in the country.

Please send a resume, work samples and resumes to Andy Johnston, sports editor; The Athens Banner-Herald; 1 Press Place; Athens, Ga. 30601 or e-mail to andy.johnston@onlineathens.com. No phone calls please. Please have materials postmarked by April 6, 2007.

Here's some info to hopefully cover other questions that might come up.

Athens is 60 miles from downtown Atlanta, 70 from the airport, but there are plenty of things to keep you busy in Athens. Tons of restaurants, bars, athletics, etc. It is one of the finest college towns in the country. Just ask Hoops McCann and Buck Weaver.

We have a six-man staff.

We were APSE top 10 daily and special sections this year and honorable mention for Sundays. Last year, we were APSE top 10 Sunday and special sections and honorable mention for daily.

We cover UGA and 25 high schools, a pro cycling race every spring, NHRA about 20 miles away, a Nationwide event in town. That doesn't include UGA's annual bowl trip and various SEC tournaments and NCAA regionals/championships that come to town. Athens hosted the NCAA swimming championships last March, and will have both NCAA tennis championships this May.

We also send writers to the Masters every year.

We do not cover much in Atlanta, but mainly because our other duties consume much of our time and because we have Morris writers there. The opportunity is there, however. The Falcons are based in Flowery Branch, about 45 minutes from Athens.

As far as the cost of living, it's a college town.

Our current ASE Nick Mathews has accepted a job with Newport News (Va.).

I want to move quickly on this, so if you're interested, e-mail or send in your resumes and clips.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Andy's a good guy. Athens is a good town.

I see there's a nice little ripple effect going on with some of these jobs. Won't be a shortage of applicants for this one.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I remember talking to one of the former UGA writers a couple years back and when he told me how much he was making, I was pretty put off, thinking the guy must not be able to eat anything but Ramen.
    He then told me he had an apartment that he was paying something like $265 bucks a month for.
    Point being, you're probably not going to get rich working for Athens. But you're not going to starve, either.
    Pair that with the fact that this is a pretty damn good paper in a great town, and yeah, I'd hate to be Andy's mailbox right in the next few weeks.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

best place on earth

$265 is a steal... i had about the best deal in town years ago when i paid something like $350 a month which included utilities and cable. but that's from who you know. those deals exist, but not on every corner

god, i miss athens...

5. JB20

JB20 Member

Are there ever any ASE jobs that allow you to write? Seems they're all design.

6. HoopsMcCann

this ase has written in the past and it caused some problems

basically you want your ase to be in the office and when you've got a beat, that just ain't happening. especially a place like athens where your sports editor has to be out there and your main columnist, like athens

7. Nick Mathews

Nick Mathews New Member

Leaving Athens was the most difficult professional decision I've made. I loved my two years here. I loved the city, the staff, the newspaper. It took one hell of an opportunity for me to leave here.

There is so much going on at all times that there are many chances to do exceptional work. As Andy said, the paper is starting to be recognized nationally, and, I believe, it's well deserved. Andy is a great guy and allows a lot of creative freedom. The five guys here are some of the best to work with, as well.

If you have any questions about the job, the staff, Athens, just PM me.

Nick Mathews

8. HoopsMcCann

not one to nitpick, nick, but the paper isn't just starting to be recognized nationally, it had been for a while. during my stint there we were regular apse-winners, both as a section and as individuals. a lot of good work has been done there for quite a while, thanks

and the ee, jason winders, is one of the best guys you'll ever meet. and he may even buy you the occasional beer. i hear he has a drink every now and then

9. Nick Mathews

Nick Mathews New Member

Hoops, indeed, is more accurate. The paper has been recognized nationally for years. It's just going through a really nice patch right now. And, agreed, Winders is as good as it gets when it comes to the big bosses.

10. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

The canadian wife allows him to drink? She's slacked off then.

Anyways, i can second everything said above about Athens. I get made fun of pretty frequently because, several years after leaving, I still talk and rave about the city. It's by the far the best place I've ever lived and been.

I only know the basketball writer there now as far as sports-side, but he's great people. And Winders is the man.

11. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Wonder if Jason Winders is still at the Banner-Herald?

12. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Oops. Should have read previous posts better.

I can vouch for Jason Winders being a good guy. We were tortured souls together at a dysfunctional paper in North Carolina.

Draft saved Draft deleted