1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on journalismjobs.com today (Sept. 28)

Company: The Bakersfield Californian
    Position: Seeking Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: November 2, 2006
    Job ID: 686232

Description:
    The Bakersfield Californian, an award-winning, innovative, family-owned paper in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley, is seeking an Assistant Sports Editor. The winning candidate for this position will be energetic, proactive and forward-thinking. This key team player must also have copy editing, page design, Web and managerial skills. We are intensely reader-focused and want people who aren’t afraid to look at news in new ways. Our web presence is also extremely important and this editor will be one of the main players in conceptualizing and carrying out web-based sports elements, including videos, podcasts and other interactive storytelling. At least 5 years experience on a daily preferred. We do thorough background checks. Send resumes to Tony Lacava, sports editor, The Bakersfield Californian, PO Bin 440, Bakersfield CA 93302. E-mail: tlacava@bakersfield.com

2. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Of course, as everyone knows, you can message me if you need any details here.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think they'd get a helluva lot more resumes if they allowed someone to telecommute for this job.

also, does a thorough background check mean they'll want to be takin' semen instead of urine only?

4. Claws for Concern

IIRC the paper fired a news reporter for plagiarism. The paper had to issue a big apology and the ME conducted an investigation into other stories written by the reporter. He found other instances where the reporter had plagiarized information too. AP even covered the firing as I remember reading it one night while on the copy desk.

5. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Yeah, that's basically right. Although it was a staff member that did the investigation rather than the ME, and roughly 1/3 of her stories had fabricated quotes/people etc. Nice little summary about it here: http://www.famousplagiarists.com/journalism.htm

The background checks are fairly extensive. All of your references will be contacted (nothing unusual there), your current boss must be contacted (at some point before hire), and employment will be varified at every place you list having experience at. In addition, for reporters, we've had to run clip stories through plagiarism checking programs etc. It's a lengthy process that should help prevent anyone like her from working here again. She had done some of the same things at other papers it turned out, and it could have been prevented with these measures in place before.

As for Bakersfield and the reputation it has, it's really not the Bakersfield everyone thinks it is. The town has grown so fast in the last four years and has pretty much everything you'd need now. Sure, there are some old-school Bakersfield parts of town that keep the reputation alive, but for the most part, the town is nothing like that anymore. It's a good family city with a growing metro population that's hitting the 400,000-plus range now.

Plus it's only 15 minutes from Tahoe.....right? :)

6. Claws for Concern

I have relatives in Bakersfield and from what I remember the majority of the sports staff has been there a long time (SE Tony Lacava was the prep editor there a long time ago) and yes, bp is right about the town. It still has old-school charm, but the high school growth is crazy, Cal State Bakersfield's athletics program is going Division I and they have minor league arena football, hockey, baseball and a NBA D-League team (Jim Harrick Sr. is the coach).

7. If anyone should want info that doesn't come straight from BP — which, trust me, he isn't going to steer you the wrong way — or simply wants to hear another opinion, feel free to PM me as well and I'll gladly share.

8. gauchoguy16

gauchoguy16 Member

I worked there for a year with bp and can vouch. Solid paper, solid little town. As stated above, you can also PM me if you'd like more info.

9. Claws for Concern

10. bp6316

bp6316 Member

It'll be November before this hire gets made. There's a lot going on here right now.

11. Claws for Concern

When do you leave the paper? It's always tough to leave one place during the fall season though I know the Fayetteville paper is obviously anxious for you to start there.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My sister's friend took a non-newspaper job in Bakersfield a few months ago and is going out of her mind with boredom.

On the other hand, if you take this job, PM me. She's OK looking and horny.

Draft saved Draft deleted