1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Anderson, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by fmrsped, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

Anderson has issues. No question about it. I'm just disappointed to see a place with such a great past be driven in the dirt.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you can't work with Scott Adamson, you can't work with people.

I've worked for and with a lot of people and he's in the top three.

Hell, he's already had to edit Greg Wallace in one lifetime; doing it again gives him a free pass out of purgatory and straight into heaven. (HI GREG!!!)

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm going to stop after this one, I promise.

I'm sure he's a helluva guy. But don't you think some of the holdovers, especially those who seem to be in the majority who think that even though the SE has some managerial problems, he shouldn't be treated as shittily as the EE is treating him? That the person who he's ushering in after hours so no one knows exactly what's going on might have a difficult time earning the respect of his co-workers, and especiallly those who will be working under him?

I do. He could be the nicest guy in the world. It sure as hell sounds like it.

But the EE is doing it the wrong way, and from everything on this thread, Adamson seems to be going along with it as willingly as possible.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, but I'm sure Anderson will be fine. If some people on staff don't like it, it's not like there aren't plenty of other sportswriters/editors/designers available. Is the SE getting screwed? Probably. But they'll still put the paper out every night.

I'll never forget what a publisher told me at my first job when I was in high school. The editor, who had pretty much taken a shitty, shitty newspaper and turned it into an award-winner, was leaving for the big daily. His thoughts, "Everybody is replaceable."

People in Anderson will want to continue to do their job. If they don't ... they'll find somebody else who will.

5. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

It appears that the EE did not explain the situation truthfully to Adamson. Does not sound like there is a hush-hush deal between anyone but the EE and himself.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm not sure anyone thinks Adamson had some underhanded role in this. For people who know the situation -- and from my few conversations with Adamson -- I have a feeling he's being drawn into something he's not expecting.
    EE might be digging himself a hole. Again.
    Like I said before, I just hope it doesn't affect the good people still in Anderson.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

You guys know the guy, he sounds like he's good people. But isn't that being a little naive of Mr. Adamson, or being a little naive of the people saying he didn't have a hand in this? You go interview (allegedly), and don't meet the guy who's going to be your boss? That might raise a Texas-sized red flag to me. I'm hesitant to admonish Mr. Adamson from being ignorant to the EE's scheme.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He already had a job so I dont think Scott was privy to anything underhanded....
    And unlike some other bosses I've had, I'd walk thru fire for him... OK, not fire. And not a long walk cause I can be a little out of shape.But you get the point.

9. boots

boots New Member

Once took a job without meeting my executive editor. Turned out to be a great gig. Sometimes scheudules conflict.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I see another "respected" poster has jumped on the naive train. It's a little crowded!

11. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I'd be surprised to find out the EE would secretly oust the SE. He's not confrontational, but he never seemed sneaky to me. Not to mention, the SE is a nice guy who has been there for awhile, so if he is leaving (or being let go), I think Kausler, out of respect, would have given him the heads up before hiring a replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.