1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Anderson, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by fmrsped, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm sure that more than makes up for the careless errors mentioned in an earlier post.

2. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

I'd be surprised if the SE there even notices a change has been made.

3. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Which former SE would that be?
    The former SEs at the Post-Herald are now at Anderson as EE, in Jacksonville as SE, in Orlando as ASE and in Anniston, Ala., as SE. Would find it hard to believe any of them would go to Anderson as ASE.

4. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Scott Adamson

5. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

hmmm, interesting.
    Adamson didn't work for Kausler in Bham.
    Surprised he would go to Anderson.
    Good for him.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Scott Adamson will be a great SE in Anderson.
    New ideas, non-stagnant approach. Adamson will help that staff (whoever is still there by the time he takes over) grow more than the previous regime ever could have.

On the flip-side -- not sure I agree with how this one was handled. EE has been toying with current SE for some time. As was previously mentioned, he basically had nothing to do with this hire -- as well as the last Clemson opening. I only hope some one-on-one conversations took place between Brasier and Kausler so Brasier could look for the next job (although I doubt that conversation took place because Kausler is non-confrontal and Brasier is non-existent). Don't care what you think of Brasier's managing style. He's a decent human being with a young daughter. Luckily, his wife earns a decent check.
    This stands to be the second time an SE job ends less than favorably for Brasier, and I have a feeling his time as a manager of a section this big is over.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so adamson got the se job? not the ase job advertised?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Officially? No.
    But do the math: SE's five-year struggle + ASE candidate who brings every SE quality to the table + SE having poor relationship with EE + SE barely meeting with ASE candidate = plans to replace SE sooner rather than later.
    Had the last ASE not been as young as he was, I have a feeling a move with the SE would have been done earlier.

9. Yankee

Yankee Member

As MU said, the last two big hires were done with the SE out of the loop. Only a matter of time until there's a new leader. Before Braiser took that section into the toilet, Anderson won APSEs on a regular basis and the employees there were happy and not looking to get out two months after getting there. Maybe it wil get back to the way it was under new leadership. Can't get any worse.

10. Sorry guys.

I worked at Anderson while in college and have worked at two other area papers.

Even when the staff was slightly larger and much better (despite the fact the paper looked HORRIBLE!), EVERYONE was ALWAYS looking to leave nearly as soon as they got there.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm with MU. Couldn't have liked the Anderson SE more outside of work. A helluva guy, if not fogetful sometimes.

And I don't know Adamson from Adam (no pun intended), and this is assuming all of this talk about the SE not knowing dick about any of this is true (which I can believe from my dealings with the EE).

But here's my question: Is this where this business is right now? This guy got the proverbial rug pulled out from under him in Birmingham. So to get back on top, he's going to take this deal from the EE, and fuck the SE out of a job? How could you work with the SE in the (likely very) short-term? How could you face the rest of the staff who knows the hush hush deal he got to come there?

I hope there's a special spot in hell for the principals in this puppy.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

I don't think I have issue w/ Adamson. He's getting a great opportunity at a place that could be pretty solid with the right leadership.
    However, will he find some resistance from the holdovers -- not because of him but because of higher ups? I hope Adamson gets a fair shake; he's a good guy who deserves it.
    I just hope the EE's moves don't completely destroy the other people who are there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.