1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Albuquerque Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hungryhungryhippo, Jun 5, 2006.

1. abovethefold

abovethefold New Member

Albuquerque is a terrific town. The Journal is not a good paper, not a decent paper, not a mediocre paper. At best, it is a questionable journalistic product that operates in a completely different dimension (and I don't mean that in a postitive way) from what the rest of the country's papers (its size and smaller) know. It is on a journalistic island, where it reflects the fact that its only competition is the small PM Scripps Howard paper, that is infinitely better, despite circulating about 90K less copies. The pay will be undoubtedly bad, perhaps not even 40K. I warn any serious journalist. I can't imagine that this is what you'd be looking for.

2. How bad?

3. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Hey I know someone who didn't get a call (yet), saw this and said the hell with them.

4. zman82

zman82 Member

i heard the list was long and distnguished on this one, so if you weren't already in the mix then don't even bother. i guess there's serious candidates galore regardless of the so-called shitty pay.

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

If you think 40K for a management position at a 100,000-circulation newspaper is good pay, you're either a newbie or never worked above a 30,000 rag. Can't imagine they'll get anyone with management experience with that scale.

6. ogre

ogre Member

A couple friends of mine lived out there for over a year and couldn't stand it. There are plenty of places with nice desert weather, if that's your thing. Yes it is beautiful there, but that will wear thin once your meth habit kicks into high gear.

On a possitive note, thanks to the NCAA regional being held there, I now can spell Albuquerque every time.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nob Hill, bro.

Draft saved Draft deleted