1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ascending the food chain (re: circulations)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

It's true, but I've definitely noticed a difference in quality between a newsroom for a 10k weekly (3rd story of a Catholic school, iMacs from 1999) and the ~20k daily I interviewed with recently.

As an intern for a major metro daily, I saw a gorgeous newsroom with amazing resources.

2. Not surprising. But I've also been to some large papers with dinosaurs for equipment. The reason being is small papers don't have to spend nearly as much to update their newsrooms with the best equipment. The larger papers do it by sections, usually starting with graphics and photo - and the reporters getting the hand-me downs.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Nope, different chain. And I hated the 45K paper I went to work at, so I left for a 9K daily to be the SE. I had more fun at that gig than any other job, with the exception of my current shop. I've had the opportunity, especially recently, to make the jump to a bigger paper, but as I've learned, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'm at a 16K daily now as the SE, and I wouldn't trade it (as of now) for anything in the world.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nothing is for sure in the sports writing business. You could start at a tiny weekly, or daily and take years to climb up to the big metro, or you could start as a stringer at the metro and get hired two years later.

Heck you, could move up from a small paper in a year, or you could be a stringer for 20 years. It's just about what works for you. Write the best you can, offer to help with the bitch work too- taking scores, doing web stuff, taking photos. It might help you climb the ladder quicker.

5. rebelpaul

rebelpaul New Member

I'm in the same boat as you Jay. I'm thinking about where I want to be, but the most I work at my current shop I start to appreciate what I'm doing more and more.

Do I want to be a bigger paper with a bigger circulation? Of course, but I'm in no hurry to try and improve that right away.

I'm focusing on polishing my writing (which right now is good enough for my current situation, but nowhere near the level to advance right now) and reporting skills. Hopefully the hard work pays off and I do move up.

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

I remember once when one of our young stringers hustled in from covering a game and asked whether his story was for the front page or inside the section. When I asked why, he said he was hoping he'd get a front-page slot because he had a good story. I told him to write it like a front-page story no matter where it was played.

So don't get hung up on aspiring to make the jump from Class A to Triple-A, but instead focus on the fundamentals and execution that'll get you noticed as a big leaguer. Approach your job as if you were at your dream publication and soon you may be ready when the opportunities arise.

7. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

Yes it can be done!!! Do not let Anyone stand in the way of your dreams!! Work hard!!! A lot of us have gone from smaller newspapers to bigger ones quickly!!! You have to be dedicated and strong of mind!! Always be willing to cover whatever sport they tell you to!!! Be humble!!!

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Circ size means dick. Maybe a few extra bucks, but I echo what others have said about the grass not always being greener. I'd rather be happy working at a 30K than miserable working for a 100K. When I send out resumes, I'm not worried about circ size. I'm more concerned with the stability of the paper and if I could be happy living in that city/state. Worrying about circ size is extremely short-sighted, especially with the biz in the shape it's in.

9. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

The main thing I would focus on is work hard!!! Everyone has to pay dues but if you work really hard someone will notice you and take a chance! Good luck!!

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Only one exclamation point? You're slipping!(!!)

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Of course I'd rather be happy in a small shop rather than be miserable/have no job stability at a bigger shop. I'm just wondering, at what point (in circ #s) am I wasting my time sending apps?

Say I've been at a 20k daily for 1-2 years. If I send stuff to the NY Times, they'd laugh at me and toss it in the garbage. But if I sent my stuff to a 100k circ daily, would it garner the same response? I just want to know how big of a launching pad this general circulation is.

But above all else, it's about being happy, safe, and being at the right place at the right time. With that said, someone answer my question ;)

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't think anyone can. You're asking for a specific answer to a general question. Would a 100K look at your clips from a 20K? Depends on the 100K in question, depends on the 20K in question, and depends, most of all, on the clips in question.

If you want the job, send the clips. The worst they can do is say no.

Draft saved Draft deleted