1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As usual, I'm late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Feb 22, 2008.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I know he's mine.

The show is full of great, great characters. One of the beauties of having a 58 minute show is the fantastic character development.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

DoubleDown's (and Zeke's) relentless Wire fandom convinced me to take a flier on the show. And, like everyone else, I'm eternally grateful.

Let me add my voice to the chorus: If you're on the fence about watching The Wire, just do it. You'll thank me -- and everyone else -- later. F_B, especially, I'd LOVE for you to get into the show...you'd be a valuable addition to the SportsJournalists.com Wire community.

I've offered several of my coworkers the Mighty Wingman Wire Challenge: Rent Season One, Disc One of the Wire. Watch all three episodes on that disc. And if you're not hooked, rent a DVD of your choice, on me. If I had deep enough pockets, I'd make the same offer to the SportsJournalists.com family.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Season 3 was amazing, one of the best seasons of any TV show I've watched. And, judging from what people say about Season 4 below, I can't wait to break open that DVD set later tonight.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Through Episode 8 now. Just sent 1-8 out to the ModdyFlix Premium (and only) Subscriber.

So each season is one single separate case?

5. Sort of, but not really.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

All the pieces matter.

7. Yep. When I first saw season 1 I remember thinking, well that's that. Good show. There's no way they can build on that.

Then season 2 came out and I realized, wow, this is brilliant. They're unveiling a whole world with parts that unwittingly interconnect with one another.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I just finished Season 1. It's definitely a good show, but I have yet to be blown away by it the way everyone else seems to have been.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Though, I do have to say I'm curious as to how McNulty gets off of Harbor Patrol.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Russell "Stringer" Bell? DeAngelo Barksdale? Roland "WeeBey" Brice? The never-ending comedy of Jay Landsman? Preston "Bodie" Broadus? Bubs?

Wallace, for Heaven's sake?

And that's without even mentioning the pawns on the chessboard, Ronald McDonald's profit-sharing and Lester's dollhouse furniture.

Not trying to be negative, but if you didn't like Season One of the Wire, I'm not totally sure you'll enjoy any of the others either.

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

"Where the boy at Sting? Where he at?"

That scene gets me every time.

12. That's not fair wingman. He didn't say it was bad, he just wasn't blown away. I wasn't either. Season 2 is what showed me the potential for the show. Not season 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted