1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As usual, I'm late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fen, what do I need to do to get you to watch The Wire, starting at Season 1? I'm serious about this.

Mail you the disks? Pay for Netflix?

2. It's a huge hole in my pop-cult lit, I know.
    I'll get to it.

3. Double Down

You know annoying it is when people say "You have to watch this show because YOU would love it?"

Well ... you have to watch this show. Because I'm convinced you'd love it. And because, selfishly, I want to discuss it with you.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Fenian can send me the dvds when he catches up. Another guilty non-watcher.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Going to do Season 1 this weekend - a long weekend at home with recovering dog. In between basketball games, we'll try to get in the entire season.

It best not suck!

6. Double Down

21, if I could get you, Fenian and jgmacg to watch The Wire, I feel like I'd accomplished one good thing in all my time here. Seriously.

From a storytelling standpoint, and because of its honest portrayal of American bureaucracies and what they do to individuals of all races, it has no equals in television history.

You will watch one episode and shrug your shoulders, thinking "What's the big deal?" By the time you hit episode six or seven, you'll understand why people here push the show like heroin.

It's really a five-season novel. I know that sounds silly, but it's true.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

And then pass them on to me, 21. A coworker of mine convinced me to start watching "The Wire." I've got Season 1 in the Netflix queue ... and a message from Netflix saying "Very Long Wait." I'm getting impatient.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've only seen it when I've happened upon it on road trips. So I've probably seen parts of all of the seasons, and I know the characters, but I really don't have a total grasp of the storyline.

I've seen several of the current season's episodes. The portrayal of the Baltimore Sun newsroom has been pretty fascinating.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I watch Project Runway now, on your recommendation...give me some credit for that.

HBO has ruined my life. I was a person who hardly watched TV, except for sports and news. Then along came The Sopranos....Curb Your Enthusisam...Entourage....even Big Love. It's getting to be a problem.

10. Moderator1

Announcing **** ModdyFlix. For a $25 monthly membership, you, too, can have access to my DVD file.
    It includes only The Wire. Right now, the wait ain't bad.

11. Like DD said, it's a little slow at first as the first episodes basically establish characters. The plot rolls down hill once you get to ep. 6 or 7 ... it's amazing how quickly those episodes go.

12. Moderator1

No commericials, I figure a season by Sunday is do-able. Don't think there's anything else I want to watch on the tube and I'm not going anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted